Maya Blendshape Organisation?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Maya Blendshape Organisation?

Hello.

I'm hoping that maybe someone will have a solution for my woes as I can't seem to find this question asked anywhere else on the web.

Ok, so basically I have a character setup which currently has 50+ blendshapes applied for the face and I need a nice way of having them organised into sections, rather than just having them in a long list in the blendshape editor.
They are all in the correct order, but I was wondering if there is a way to have a gap, or a marker e.g detailing when mouth expressions stop and eyebrow expressions begin.
Also I'm creating full expressions (e.g angry, perplexed etc) using multiple blendshapes so that in some cases the animator can simply swith the one blendshape on instead of 4 or 5. I would really like these to be in a seperate blendshape node all together, but when I do this I either have it so that the original blendshapes in the other node no longer work, or if I move the new node down in the inputs - the weighting of a single target from the old node will completely reverse the expression applied (instead of adding to it).

If anyone has any kind of solutions for my problems I'd be very grateful for your feedback.
Thankyou for help!

Old 09 September 2012   #2
try creating several blenshape nodes to organize...I like to drive them all into a non skinned target to avoid skin conflicts with multiple blendshapes. then blend shape that target into final character.....its pretty flexible.....or of course just build some sliders out of curves to make it more visual

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Thanks for the reply.

I actually managed to figure out how to have simultanious blendshape nodes on the same mesh, with each of them 'adding' to targets in other nodes. For anyone that's interested...

When you create the blendshape node under the 'create deformers' tab, click on the options box. You'll then need to click on the 'advanced' tab in this window and change the deformation order to 'parallel'.
This is very handy as you can now have seperate sections or groups for different parts of the face eg, mouth, eyes, eyebrows etc.

Hope this helps someone at some point in the future!

Old 09 September 2012   #4
yeah i found parallel difficult to get right with complex rigs (lots of deformers)...hence the separate mesh solution

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Originally Posted by pez86: Ok, so basically I have a character setup which currently has 50+ blendshapes applied for the face and I need a nice way of having them organised into sections, rather than just having them in a long list in the blendshape editor.

The animators I work with prefer to have categorized lists of blendshapes for facial animation on separate controllers.. Brow, Eye/Nose/Ears,Mouth/Jaw/Neck etc.. They prefer this because when they select the controller int he graph editor it narrows down the number of channels they have to look at.

Another way to do it is to have them all on one controllers but separate them using dummy attributes like "____" and then lock the attributes or call these dummy attributes "BROW_" "EYES_" etc.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread