Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
Andrewe1
Veteran
portfolio
Andres Reza
Laredo, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Why can't I modify blue effectors?

Hello,

I'm newish to MB and I was wondering why I can't modify some blue effectors when in control rig mode, just red... If I want to get rid of animation I have to plot to skeleton and remove it there.

Is this the way it works? I see the blue effector's animation in the Fcurve but if I modify it, I plot to skeleton and back and the animation is still there as if nothing happened, what gives?

thanks

Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
jonmummery
Veteran
portfolio
Jon Mummery
Senior Animator
Crytek
United Kingdom

So with motionbuilder, you are keying both FK and IK at the same time.
While in control rig mode you will be keying both but when you move curves, only the red will make it move, unless you key off the reach.
what you're seeing with the blue are the FK (skeleton) curves.
Red are like the IK. To affect blue using the curve editor while in control rig, you need to make the reach for that body part to zero so that it is using FK. Select the wrist for example and you should see three sliders for translate, rotation and pull. You can make the arm FK by changing the reach to 0. This means its not trying to reach the IK.

Otherwise yes, plotting will bake it to the skeleton so that if you turn off control rig you have the animation baked down.
By turning control rig back on, you have a way to do edits in both FK and IK, whereas in skeleton mode you can only modify FK skeleton.

Try keying the reach (translation and orientation) to zero, default is 100. Then you can do fk edits.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread