Valve's Source Filmmaker

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #31
Originally Posted by JoshBowman: You've just missed mentioning that every cinematic Valve has created since the "Meet the...." videos started has been created within SFM. The Left 4 Dead 2 cinematics where pretty awesome.

Unless I've missed something, this is fairly useless for anyone who wasn't initially intending on porting all of their assets into the Source engine to be run at real-time in the first place, which is a strange way to do a personal project as putting stuff into game engines is a pain in the arse, and the whole realtime, in-game thing….

Is this suddenly a forum full of people who make in-game movies / TF2 shorts? Colour me surprised.

The application looks great but I don't see a need to shoehorn it into anyone's workflow just because it now exists.

Old 07 July 2012   #32
Originally Posted by tuna: Unless I've missed something, this is fairly useless for anyone who wasn't initially intending on porting all of their assets into the Source engine to be run at real-time in the first place, which is a strange way to do a personal project as putting stuff into game engines is a pain in the arse, and the whole realtime, in-game thing….

Is this suddenly a forum full of people who make in-game movies / TF2 shorts? Colour me surprised.

The application looks great but I don't see a need to shoehorn it into anyone's workflow just because it now exists.

Well, asides from the workflow aspect I wanted to also test how hi-res it can go before things bog down. Because obviously cinematic quality is not the same as in-game/TF2 quality.

People should not be afraid of testing. We can all test it. If it doesn't work or if it works well at least we all know for sure.

That's what the Beta is for.

Old 07 July 2012   #33
I can see this working really well for importing in some low res geo and using the ingame characters with audio to quickly block out timing and camera for live action films. I think if there were some sort of internet repository set up for Source player models that could be imported into the engine then you could really go to town blocking out shots quickly in 3D.

Old 07 July 2012   #34
Preparing geometry for use in the Source Engine is not as cumbersome as it used to be. When I created my first item a year and half ago it was a bit of a pain, but they have since added new tools to streamline the process. So bringing in geometry, rigs etc. from Max for example would not be a huge headache once you get comfortable with the flow. I'll be very curious to try it and in any case it actually looks fluid and fun to work with.

Old 07 July 2012   #35
Wink fan of it

Originally Posted by tuna: Unless I've missed something, this is fairly useless for anyone who wasn't initially intending on porting all of their assets into the Source engine to be run at real-time in the first place, which is a strange way to do a personal project as putting stuff into game engines is a pain in the arse, and the whole realtime, in-game thing….

Actually, just like those who still code for C64 these days (hi there demo sceners!), there are a group of people that really into this (machinima).

I know most will use readily available asset (just like machinima of the yesteryear), but there will also people who willing to do a "total conversion" (100% their very own asset).

With CryEngine having their own version, UDK also have render to avi option, and now this, there seems to be a market for these kind of thing (hence: movie storm and reallusion iclone).

Maybe one day there will be a work in pre-vis where people with such experience is a good thing.

Old 07 July 2012   #36
Originally Posted by fablefox: Actually, just like those who still code for C64 these days (hi there demo sceners!), there are a group of people that really into this (machinima).

I know most will use readily available asset (just like machinima of the yesteryear), but there will also people who willing to do a "total conversion" (100% their very own asset).

With CryEngine having their own version, UDK also have render to avi option, and now this, there seems to be a market for these kind of thing (hence: movie storm and reallusion iclone).

Maybe one day there will be a work in pre-vis where people with such experience is a good thing.

I'm surprised this would even come up. I understand that most people here work with high end photo-realistic renderers, but many of us are also hobbyists or independent developers. Machinima is a long-term bet of sorts. Rendering quality improves as hardware improves, and though realism is the measure by which all "game" engines are judged, a sufficiently well styled production will always be appealing. I can see why this holds little appeal to those whose clients demand the highest quality possible, but it opens up intriguing new possibilities for animators and storytellers who have final say on what is acceptable output quality.

Old 07 July 2012   #37
I'm glad someone mentioned iClone, because this seems to be along the same lines. Machinima has, of course been around for ages, and tools like The Movie and Moviestorm were very primitive at the start but, should they continue development, one might assume that they could get to the level of some of these things we were seeing at E3 this year. If Machinima movies could reach the quality of titles like Watch Dogs and Last of Us, I can see it taking off in some form.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 07 July 2012   #38
Originally Posted by teruchan: I'm glad someone mentioned iClone, because this seems to be along the same lines. Machinima has, of course been around for ages, and tools like The Movie and Moviestorm were very primitive at the start but, should they continue development, one might assume that they could get to the level of some of these things we were seeing at E3 this year. If Machinima movies could reach the quality of titles like Watch Dogs and Last of Us, I can see it taking off in some form.

I have to wonder though... With regard to real-time rendering, aren't we well beyond the quality of Re-Boot or (Transformers) Beast Wars by now?

The problem might not be the technology at this point. If the "Samaritan" clip was from a TV show, I would watch that show. Instead we get crap like Xavier: Renegade Angel, which looked like it was made in Poser 4... and worse, it was also really dumb.

Doesn't matter what tech you use, don't start a series without a strong concept (and interesting characters)...

Old 11 November 2012   #39
Started toying around with this, am currently making a poster.

Few thoughts: Because it's almost like a game mod with a lot of basic cinematic tools, the UI can be take a little getting used to. The TF2 characters are automatically set up with skeletons, and have 'bones' that can be puppeted.

You can also set up a model to be rigged, which removes some of the bones, and sets the model up explicitly for pose to pose animation.

The concept of capturing the characters in their "game state" and integrating it with other footage and scenes created by convention animation methods is well done, but it takes getting used to.

Some of the effects don't seem to load even after scrubbing the timeline.

Overall, this thing has a lot of potential in the right hands-- would love to just import some pre-rigged proprietary models and set everything up from there.

Old 11 November 2012   #40
Originally Posted by JanosHunyadi: Started toying around with this, am currently making a poster.

Few thoughts: Because it's almost like a game mod with a lot of basic cinematic tools, the UI can be take a little getting used to. The TF2 characters are automatically set up with skeletons, and have 'bones' that can be puppeted.

You can also set up a model to be rigged, which removes some of the bones, and sets the model up explicitly for pose to pose animation.

The concept of capturing the characters in their "game state" and integrating it with other footage and scenes created by convention animation methods is well done, but it takes getting used to.

Some of the effects don't seem to load even after scrubbing the timeline.

Overall, this thing has a lot of potential in the right hands-- would love to just import some pre-rigged proprietary models and set everything up from there.

Interesting. My harddisk is full right now, so I haven't been able to try it.
Can you post some vids of test results or some captures of using the application?

Old 11 November 2012   #41
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Interesting. My harddisk is full right now, so I haven't been able to try it.
Can you post some vids of test results or some captures of using the application?

I have nothing valuable to show, since it's me still dicking around with parameters and buttons, but here are some tutorial videos from Ray himself. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...C4&feature=plcp

side note: program is still a little buggy: some of the particle effects refuse to show themselves and it's a fairly significant buzz kill.

Old 11 November 2012   #42
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread