Zhbdcafe
MayaArtist
portfolio
Zahid Hasan Zitu
No
Sylhet, Bangladesh

Send a message via MSN to Zhbdcafe Send a message via Yahoo to Zhbdcafe
CG job for self trainer

I am very much interested in CG artworks. I like to do 3d animation and now training myself by going through course provided by Digital tutors, Gnomon etc etc. I think they are better source enough. But it is very bad luck that there is no art school in our country that provides education for computer graphics or animation. My educational background isn't art rather engineering. Can I dream about getting job in a animation studio. I work very hard for this but I don't even know is it really possible. What do u think guys, can I pass through their criteria.

Last edited by Zhbdcafe : 02-16-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Most people doing 3d are self taught, you dont need a classroom, just keep watching tutorials and practising.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

I'm curious how many positions are still available for animators, as many studios use mocap.
You can go with animationmentor, it's not cheap but if you want a proper animation education, it's very good.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
XLNT-3d
Be Water My Friend

portfolio
Jon Anderson
Creative that gets stuff done
Stevensville, USA

I would focus on companies that are engineering based. Your engineering background will give you an advantage. I work with engineers and often my lack of engineering background requires that I have "translators" that can straddle both worlds. I often train at least one mechanical engineer to work in our studio. They typically make great modelers, riggers and particle effects or simulation experts. Biomechanic engineers usually assist with our character animation to ensure our work is realistic and accurate. Especially when creating chaotic motion like slips and falls and the resulting aftermath. They also provide valuable input with shootings and body mechanics in car crashes and ejections.

Figure out how to sell your engineering background as an asset. I've already told my kids art school would be a waste of money over getting an engineering degree and learning traditional art and technical programs with extended continued education (self, online, and auditing courses)

I've learned basic engineering principles over the past 16 years working with some of the best. I find many artists are lacking true understanding of how the world actually works (biomechanics, physics, etc) and as a result, I see issues with animation, lighting and modeling that just make things look strange or unreal. Especially when it comes to camera motion and vehicles.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 02-16-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Many of us are self-trained in 3D. (There was a time, 10 years ago, when almost everybody had to self-train).

Yes you can get a job at an animation studio.

Focus on making your demoreel as high quality as possible.

The fact that you are an engineer can help you get certain types of role in CG studions.

If you have CAD modeling skills, that's a plus for creating hard-surface models.

If you have experience with CFD or FEA simulations, again, it may help you get simulation jobs in a CG studio.

Focus on what you like the most in CG, and you should be OK.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Zhbdcafe
MayaArtist
portfolio
Zahid Hasan Zitu
No
Sylhet, Bangladesh

Send a message via MSN to Zhbdcafe Send a message via Yahoo to Zhbdcafe
Thank u very much guys. I was looking for this kind of answers over the days. Sometimes I became very hopeless when I always found everybody talking and focusing about choosing art school to be a cg artist. But now I think it will be better for me to not go through those articles that weakens me.

Another thing is I posted something wrong just writing "3D Animation". I love everything that produces an animated movie - modelling, texturing, rigging, simulation. And yet got intermidiate knowledge in every step. Your advice and appreciation gave me decent strength and hope at least to struggle for my dream.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread