Help with splitting apart a sphere

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2011
Help with splitting apart a sphere

A friend asked me to help out with a UDK project he is working on. He wanted a sphere that could split into pieces, las if it smashed. I assumed the best way to do it would be to simply get a sphere and cut it up into pieces, but I never really thought about how the pieces would look when they were together as a single sphere.

Anyway, the pictures should tell the story, horrible hard lines show where all the splits are. Something I can do to fix this? Or is there a better way I should have done it and could redo it?

Any help is very much appreciated.

10 October 2011
There really isn't much you can do about the lines that comes to mind.

I can't say much about games, but if I were to do something like this for a short film or something of the sort, I'd implement it by using two spheres, one intact and one which is comprised of the fragments.

10 October 2011
Originally Posted by flatulentFuzz: There really isn't much you can do about the lines that comes to mind.

I can't say much about games, but if I were to do something like this for a short film or something of the sort, I'd implement it by using two spheres, one intact and one which is comprised of the fragments.

You honestly should be able to do the same with a game, you just have to match them up the same way you would for an animation.

Try texturing it with the texture you are going to use, you might be able to hide the lines inside the texture's details (assuming its detailed and not flat).

10 October 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread