How can I achieve this kind of material?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
How can I achieve this kind of material?

Hello, I was wondering what kind of settings do I need to use in order to get this kind of look (image linked below from the series Monk little dog I think), I already have my materials but I have no idea how to achieve this kind of softness, the shadows always look too black and too harsh. Do I need to use an extra node, maybe link it to my material? Or does this have to do more with the render settings?
I would really appreciate your help!
Thank you very much

05 May 2013
This is more in the realm of lighting. There are 2 things you need to be aware of

1. The main light source (think about the Sun) can produce shoft shadows by

1.1 if you use shadow maps, increase the filter size
1.2 if you use raytrace, increase the light radius.

2. The indirect light source. Think about the entire sky shining slightly darker lights on your model from all direction. This is the light the fills in the shadows. There are many ways to mimic this effect, try google light dome, indirect lighting and HDR lighting if you want to learn more.

05 May 2013
Thanks!
This is very useful! Just another question is there an additional way to make the shadows blueish instead of black or any other color?

05 May 2013
Change their color in either our 3d app(would help if you tell which one you use) or in post.

05 May 2013
I am using maya, planning to render on mental ray, using some mia materials qith a couple of extra nodes connected to them. Planning to use some subsurface scattering. Thanks again!

05 May 2013
Changing shadow color is cheap and I really don't recommend it. In reality, the blue tone you see in shadows is what I already described as #2 - the light shine from the sky itself. Again, google light dome and you'll see how it is done.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread