Sticker backside

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Sticker backside

Hi CGSociety

I would like to know how to make the backside of my "sticker" or "label" white, right now if you look inside the glass you can see the sticker, but it should be white. Maybe its because the glass has a shell of 1mm and then the mapping is also showing on the inside?

If you guys have any tips and tricks for a proper sticker method, i would be a happy man.

I use 3ds Max 2018 with VRay 3.6

12 December 2017
If the label is has no thickness, you can apply a "Vray2sidedMtl".
Select: back material and
Deselect: Force single-sided sub-materials.

12 December 2017
Hi SD3D, thanks for your reply, but that does not work at all. Is there any other way? My glass is a shell, could it be something with me having to flip faces on the inside of the glass ro something wierd, im really lost here, please help.

12 December 2017
Did you map the sticker directly on the glass? If yes, why not create extra geometry for it, just like it would be in real life?

Did you use a shell-modifier? You would need to edit the mat IDs above it. (And of course you wouldn't use a double sided material in this case)

Last edited by Noren : 12 December 2017 at 06:30 PM.

12 December 2017
If the label is a separate entity with a thickness.
For the materials:
You'll need a Multi/Sub-object material from the standard materials.
You then fill the numbered slots with your V-ray materials.

In the Edit-poly modifier, you select Polygons and assign a material ID number to those Polygons (you normally have to scroll down quite a bit in the edit poly modifier to find "Polygon Material IDs") .
If the geometry doesn't have an edit-poly modifier, you can add one to the modifier-stack.
Oh, wait, you know all that what with the label being part of the bottle.
Although you can also change the material IDs in the Shell modifier which is easier.
The back face of the separate sticker with thickness might need to intersect the bottle geometry slightly to avoid an air gap which would mess with the refraction etc.

Last edited by SD3D : 12 December 2017 at 06:47 PM.

12 December 2017
Thank you guys, this was very useful !

So i went with selecting the faces of the inside of the glass and gave them a different "Material ID" then the rest of the faces, after that i applied the "Multi/Sub-object" material with the sticker material on the outside and the pure glass on the inside, perfect :-)

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Naczhos: Hi SD3D, thanks for your reply, but that does not work at all. Is there any other way? My glass is a shell, could it be something with me having to flip faces on the inside of the glass ro something wierd, im really lost here, please help.
why is this so difficult ? Vray2sidedMtl is the simplest way to go...hands down....don't really care about the glass bottle..it's got nothing to do with the price of fish...

note the Translucency...pure black

reply share thread