3D Scanning With An Android Phone - Forge App

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  4 Weeks Ago
3D Scanning With An Android Phone - Forge App

Since there was a thread about iPhone X facial capture, look at this.

In 2014 there was apparently an Android app called Forge that let you 3D scan with millimetric accuracy and full texture capture using a USB depth camera (i.e. stereo camera) attached to your Android smartphone or tablet:

 
  4 Weeks Ago
I don't know whether or not I should tell this, since it is likely to trigger a rant.

But that demo was using a Primesense structured light camera. Primesense was bought by Apple, and their tech found its way into the TrueDepth camera on the iPhone X.

And of course people are now doing this with ARkit:

https://twitter.com/nobbis/status/972298968574013440
 
  4 Weeks Ago
That was available on iOS since late 2013 if I remember correctly.
__________________
www.3drenderandbeyond.com
www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
www.facebook.com/3drenderandbeyond
 
  4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by NWoolridge: But that demo was using a Primesense structured light camera. Primesense was bought by Apple, and their tech found its way into the TrueDepth camera on the iPhone X.


What is in that demo can be done with any camera that sees Z-depth - the Forge people themselves said that they will soon support other depth cameras, not just Primesense.

This means that a variety of dual lens Stereo 3D cameras for example can be used for exactly the same thing.

What is important is the software app that actually extracts the 3D mesh + texture, tracks where the camera is and so on. The quality of the mesh and texture processing is important, not so much the depth camera.

ARKit is of no use to me whatsoever.

I have the money to buy Apple gear, but won't. I'm a Windows/Android user. Apple stuff is of no use to me.
 
  4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by NWoolridge: I don't know whether or not I should tell this, since it is likely to trigger a rant.

But that demo was using a Primesense structured light camera. Primesense was bought by Apple, and their tech found its way into the TrueDepth camera on the iPhone X.

And of course people are now doing this with ARkit:

https://twitter.com/nobbis/status/972298968574013440
Sick!

You guys know the sony xperia xz1 has a 3D scanner implemented? It is called 3D creator. It is vey rough but a start nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6rETARTOZU
 
  4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: Since there was a thread about iPhone X facial capture, look at this.

In 2014 there was apparently an Android app called Forge that let you 3D scan with millimetric accuracy and full texture capture using a USB depth camera (i.e. stereo camera) attached to your Android smartphone or tablet:


I was looking for their website but nothing realy there, except a contact form.
__________________
C4D R19 Studio, V-Ray, 3D-coat, MarvelousDesigner, Substance Painter/Designer, Houdini Indie, Rhino
Website
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.