16 ddr4 vs 24 ddr3 RAM

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
16 ddr4 vs 24 ddr3 RAM

So I have this fx 8370 with 24 ddr3.

I'm planning on buying a secondary PC (primary for gaming). This would be i5 7400 which will have 16 gb (already own the RAM)

Userbenchermark states this intel cpu is actually faster than 8370, and I guess ddr4 is actually faster than ddr3 at quadcore speed (but of course 8370 is octa-core, ain't it?

I'm afraid working with 16gb might be bit too short and think it's unlikey it's prefarable 16 ddr4 than 24 ddr3, is it?

Therefore, I guess my working PC should still be the fx 8370, but i'd like a second opinion.
Please, do consider same graphics card since I'm happily swapping if needed (GTX 1060, 6gb)

Using maya 2018 and zbrush.

Anyone, please help?? Thank you very much!

12 December 2017
If you haven't bought the i5 7400 already, then aim for the i5 8400 (6 cores with a 4.0 GHz turbo). It's slightly more expensive, but it would perform better than the 7400, especially because of the much higher turbo clocks. (4.0 vs 3.5 GHz). 

The limiting factor in your new rig would only be the amount of RAM. In anything else the new i5's would be much better compared to the FX 8730. The 8730 didn't have 8 true cores. More cores don't always mean better performance. It has to do with core architecture and frequencies too. 

In my opinion, it's better to sell the old machine and build a new one with better parts in total. 

What's the budget for your new rig?

12 December 2017
I'm actually very very tied on budget. I just bought i5 7400 :/ Still, theres and I7 in the horizon (maybe after 2-3 years, when new budget come up) and I'm considering acquiring (going a bit further than i was already expecting) a new GTX 1060 (actual secondary PC has GTX 650, which is a bit short for nowdays gaming - some games won't perform well enough).

I could still cancel (for the next few hours) the purchase and get the i5 8400 but that would mean I won't be able to afford the GTX. So the primary config could be I5 8400, 16gb RAM, and GXT 1060, but secondary would be the fx8370, 24 gb RAM, GTX 650)... Maybe I could move some budget from the graphics to the processor (and get, maybe, 1050), but the would still remain the fact of RAM shortage... and RAM prices are painfull these days :'(

the fx 8370 config is working ok at this moment (could be much better, of course) ... Not in a real need to upgrade...

So the question is... should I still make an I5 8400 my primary device even with 16gb RAM when havin the old one with 24Gb? (selling the fx is not an option since I like keeping gaming and working in separate units) ??

Thank you for such a quick answer!

12 December 2017
Why keep them as separate machines? the games on a harddrive won't rot away your work. The geforce 650 card is woefully outdated and was mediocre even when it was new. The i5 you have is 20% slower at rendering than the AMD 8 core chip, however the i5 is 40% faster at everything else. Im not really sure I see the overall logic, why keep an old outdated AMD system then buy a new mid-low level machine for games? For the sake of a few bottles of wine you could have had a system which was faster at both tasks by quite a margin.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by farenhai: Userbenchermark states this intel cpu is actually faster than 8370, and I guess ddr4 is actually faster than ddr3 at quadcore speed (but of
course 8370 is octa-core, ain't it?

That's not how RAM speed works. DDR4 is always faster than DDR3. It's not tied to how many cores you have but the speed of the CPU you're using, as a multiplier. The FX-8370 is a great CPU but it's woefully outdated.

You should have been looking at Ryzen chips here, not the i5.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

reply share thread