Die Verwandlung/The Metamorphosis: A 3d animated short film

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
More Act I storyboards:

The third storyboard has a bunch of switches in order on the lower half. If you can't figure it out it's not really my problem because these storyboards make sense to me and that is all that matters.... oh the joy of working alone .

11 November 2013
Act I storyboards continued:

Here is a good reference I found for Gregor while searching on the Google:

The clothing might be not what I am looking for, but from a character standpoint it helps develop Gregor's character.

Last edited by PaulEMcLaughlin : 11 November 2013 at 02:51 PM.

11 November 2013
The "180 rule" or whatever you want to call it has been my mortal enemy this entire project. I still don't entirely understand it and I don't really know if it is that relevant for cg films. Whatever, more Act I storyboards:

11 November 2013
More Act I storyboards. The story actually specifies Gregor's former military rank as a lieutenant so I don't have to create one for him. There are still some instances where I need to work out shot composition and selection, but these are early drafts of a storyboard and much can be changed. Also some environmental design issues with regards to the layout of the apartment which is still confusing me a great deal, as also the level of continuity I am going to maintain with regards to its layout.

128 shots so far and Act I is not even done yet. For reference the first animatic had 120 shots, the second had 88 shots total, which means I have already surpassed the amount of shots in the entire first animatic/storyboard and I am not even done with Act I yet. I don't think this is going to result in a massive increase in screen time, but even if it does I am not overly concerned.

Last edited by PaulEMcLaughlin : 11 November 2013 at 01:00 PM.

11 November 2013
More Act I storyboards:

I am not of the mentality of cutting anything out at this point. I've already made 2 animatics that tell the story in 7 minutes and 12 minutes respectfully, so I know it can be done in a very short period of time. If this film ends up being 90 minutes, then it ends up being 90 minutes. As bold as that sounds, I'm not going to sacrifice quality at all on this. This film has been my life's work for nearly a decade and to throw that away by cutting corners would be foolish at this point.

Also, I have been drawing the manager incorrectly. His tophat only appears when he answers the door, at some point he puts it down on a chair with his overcoat. He has already exited the film in these storyboards, but in later revisions I will draw him without his tophat. The story doesn't specify what type of hat, but I am choosing to draw him with a tophat instead of a bowler hat because a tophat is such a ridiculously pretentious thing to wear that I think it fits his character well.

The posted storyboards in this post are going to need some reworking at some point with regards to figuring out how to render the hallway and Gregor's chase of the manager towards the stairwell. The story is somewhat confusing on the exact layout of the apartment, and as a result I have just drawn placeholder images with regards to a lot of things in the story beats in this post. For now they serve their purpose in getting the basic idea of each story point, but later when I start refining the storyboards and creating more accurate animatics, then I will need to figure out the layout of the apartment and the exact composition of each shot. Like I said, at this point I am not too overly concerned with details like this and I am not going to spend days trying to figure out the layout of the hallway, because other aspects of production may change later on, therefore affecting the hallway and apartment layout.

Last edited by PaulEMcLaughlin : 11 November 2013 at 03:21 PM.

11 November 2013
My kickstarter proposal was rejected. Oh well, I guess I am a terrible artist.

Which kind of annoys me because instead of rejecting my proposal outright initially they told me I needed to change the description, I changed it and still got rejected.

I appealed their decision but I assume I will face more rejection.

Last edited by PaulEMcLaughlin : 11 November 2013 at 10:38 PM.

11 November 2013
When are you planning on finishing? Now that you got the wheels turning, full steam ahead!

11 November 2013
My appeal was also rejected while I was sleeping. I also emailed the national endowment for the arts and they very nicely told me that they "don't support individuals per legislation". I wished them luck with their endowment and moved on.

Originally Posted by Narntson: When are you planning on finishing? Now that you got the wheels turning, full steam ahead!

It could take up to 5 years, or possibly longer.... As for full steam ahead... Those are scary words.

Last edited by PaulEMcLaughlin : 11 November 2013 at 08:03 AM.

11 November 2013
So I finished Act I storyboards (169 frames) and did a quick animatic with the default 7 second hold time in windows movie maker and it runs at about 20 minutes.

Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIu2Xmi9BXY

So basically what this film has turned into is a full length feature film because Act I running in at 20 minutes means the remaining 2 acts will push it around the 1 hour mark or longer. Which is far beyond what I was intending, but I am prepared to continue with business as usual.

This opens up questions about whether or not it will remain a silent film, because a full length silent film is somewhat abrasive even for my tastes. There are other conceptual issues to deal with I guess when changing from a short film to a full length feature film, but the game still remains the same and I don't think I have to change much. I think at this point I will just post the finished Act II animatic instead of pages of storyboards, so expect the next update within a few days.

At this rate I expect to finish a fully realized animatic that is probably going to be about an hour long by the beginning of December. At which point I might do a quick update on the characters and some work on the environment before switching back to storyboards and figuring out some of the confusing parts of the story that I have somewhat glossed over.

I don't know actually if this film is going to be a full length film, it might be somewhere between a short film and a full length film. At this point I am going to treat it like a full length film because the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences defines the cutoff between short films and full length films at 40 minutes. So for conceptual purposes I am expecting it to run past 40 minutes, but I don't think it is going to be any longer than 2 hours.

Last edited by PaulEMcLaughlin : 11 November 2013 at 04:39 PM.

11 November 2013
Act II storyboards:

the advantage of making Gregor a "bug" like he is in this film is that it can show more accurately the change in his physical appearance. Kafka's description of the "bug" is somewhat abstract and throughout the story there are many instances of injuries and emotional damage on Gregor. Instead of having a lifeless cockroach, I am able to animate Gregor as an ever evolving abstract blob that is going to be able to show a lot of emotion and character arc through abstract movement. In my opinion it is easier to show a sad abstract blob than a sad cockroach if that makes sense to anyone.

Last edited by PaulEMcLaughlin : 11 November 2013 at 04:23 AM.

11 November 2013
Quote: Very few cartoons are broadcast live, it's a terrible strain on the animator's wrists.

More Act II storyboards:

Last edited by PaulEMcLaughlin : 11 November 2013 at 05:29 AM.

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread