software render looks awful - workaround?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
software render looks awful - workaround?

Hi, I'm very much an amateur but I have a need to email a simple 3d model of a furnace part to a supplier for my job. I have drawn a model in wings3d and exported the file to STL format. My work computers have software/browser plugin restrictions and I am assuming the target audience's computers will have similar restrictions. The only online STL viewer I am able to load on our work PC is on the website http://lazarsoft.info/objstl/ as it does not get blocked by our filters like some other STL viewer pages do.
When I view the model/page on my PC it works fine, but viewing the same page on the work PC looks awful because the software render just shows the profile/outline made up of black splotchy triangles. It is impossible to make out any detail as the triangular splotches just flash randomly when you turn the model. I'd like to just email the STL file to the supplier and tell him to view it on this page if he doesn't have other means.

Is there likely any way that I can optimise my model for intentional display on a poor software render like this, another file format I could consider, or should I instead look to convert my model into a 2d CAD plan?

08 August 2013
You say it looks fine on your PC but not on the work PC, so that means the work PC is the issue and not your model. I'm guessing the GPU in the work PC needs updated drivers or simply doesn't work properly with that lazarsoft viewer.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread