CGTalk > Main > Education
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
iamjackscareer
portfolio
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Masters Degree, Life Advice, Any Input Appreciated

I just turned 30. I have a BS in digital arts but I didn't apply myself in school and didn't really come out of it with any skills other than the basics (simple Maya stuff, PS, bit of video editing). I worked in handheld gaming as an artist (3DSMax) for several years after school, but creating 64x64 sprites didn't do anything for my skillset and all that work looks terrible now, portfolio-wise. I was unhappy with that job and questioned my career choices, so I left and couldn't/didn't bother to find another job in the field. That was a couple of years ago. Since then I've picked up some Blender and played with game design middleware but haven't created anything significant. I am considering a Masters degree as a way to restart my career but I can't help thinking it's an inefficient use of money and I could spend way less simply buying exorbitant software licenses and learning on my own, or buying the software + online courses. I don't care about the degree or whatever "having a Masters" would do to my resume, I just want the opportunity to focus on improving my work to the point where I can make it a career again, just to be able to show a reel that makes me look hire-able.

TL;DR: I'm looking for advice from people who are successful in CG or Games, from your perspective is grad school a logical investment or is there a better approach for someone with a solid digital media background but no demo reel to get access to the tools and education it takes to get hired as a digital artist?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
nickfredin
Anickmation

Anickmation
Canada

Send a message via MSN to nickfredin
CG Spectrum Training

Hey,

I currently work at in the industry at Weta Digital and also help run the online school CG Spectrum. We work directly with students for extremely personalized education.

We might have something you are interested in and if you'd like to chat just shoot us an e-mail to info@cgspectrum.com

Old 10-17-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
swapnil3d
Veteran

Swapnil Halarnkar
3D Lighting Artist
Kolkata, India

Indian Studio taking people on Production Training !

Hi

It feels sad but , no worries you will do great , we are taking people for Production Training for a minimal fees, if interested please visit

www.sealionstudios.com

Thanks and Regards

( Technicla Supervisor Sealion Animation Studios )

Old 10-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
b1m2x3

HamHands
Some guy working somewhere on some movie.
USA

If you couldn't hack it the first time, what makes you think it will be better now? The industry as a whole is in a much shittier place. There are a lot of people without work, and the competition is definitely stronger now. A lot of people are looking to get out, and they have experience and reels to back it up... I'd say don't waste your money or further time... sorry that sounds brutal, but it's honest.

Last edited by b1m2x3 : 10-24-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
swapnil3d
Veteran

Swapnil Halarnkar
3D Lighting Artist
Kolkata, India

Hi B1m2X3

With all my due respect to you , I feel its like blaming country`s government for every wrong thing without really doing something at our end, just before starting with my own Studio I have worked as a Lighting Artist for 10 years and was really in worst scenarios ... I think this is the most amazing field and no good Artist should leave this field just because its not doing good right now.

All Artist who has come to this field with real passion and liking are the people whom we need in this Industry other People please dont make this place dirty. Its our God lets worship it ..

This post is not to hurt anyone , but to make people feel for this Industry !!

Old 10-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread