Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
RoBs0n

portfolio
Robson
Canoinhas, Brazil

Character Design - The wanderer

Firt post here! Little nervous...

This is a character that I'll sculpt in Zbrush and Super Sculpey.
He's a wanderer who diguises himself as a blind monk, but actually he's the reincarnation of an ancient legend: a deadly warrior possessd by an unknow entity who searches to bring balance and harmony to the world from time to time...
Sometimes, it needs a sharp blade as an instrument of change...

[IMG][/IMG]

The setting is a fantasy with ancient China influences...
The tattoos should be really relevant for the story of the character, they are part of a ritual that makes him "channel" the entity.
He's clothes sould be simple, because he would want to blend with the population, not calling attention in his journey. He just take of his upper boddy clothes when fighting...

I think I spent too much time with details on the face before refining the rest of the views... we noobs seem to be addicted to try to put highlights as soon as we can!

I'm a beginner, and hope that I can learn a lot with you here, and someday, maybe share a little and teach as good as I was taught... Any crits are welcome, (And I'm not sensitive at all, meaning that I can take anything you throw at me...hehe)

Old 09-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

The rib-cage area looks odd. You need to study how rib-cages really look on a person normally, when the person is not flexing or sucking in this stomach, or unnaturally gaunt. Usually when someone is relaxed, we won't see the rib-cage so prominently, even if the person's fit and muscular.

How come your values are so low in contrast? There should be some darker values, such as the really dark form/cast shadows. Careful not to overdo it though--most people slap on high contrast everywhere as if they feel they need to put extreme dynamic range on every spot in an image. Reserve your lightest and darkest values only when you absolutely need them, and the rest are mostly middle values.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
RoBs0n

portfolio
Robson
Canoinhas, Brazil

Update

Thanks for the crits Lunatique. I'll have to make the corrections soon.

Here's and update... I've already started sculpting it and making some more detailed tattoo designs.

[IMG][/IMG]

Not very happy with his face though.

Any other crits so far people?

Old 10-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
RoBs0n

portfolio
Robson
Canoinhas, Brazil

Update 13/10/2012

Here's the painted version.
I think I overbaked it (my oven goes from 150-180 C minimum...), so it got a little deformed comparing to the pre-baked sculpt. It got bubbles in the surface and the head cracked at the neck.

What can I do with this part of the armature?

So, what about it as my first sculpting attempt folks?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
tAstyBITs
Crazy

portfolio
Darran Hurlbut
Concept artist, Illustrator
Freelance
USA

Send a message via ICQ to tAstyBITs Send a message via MSN to tAstyBITs
what a great character!

If the silhouette is strong, sharp, has lot's of detail, and is easy to read, then you can sometimes get away with murder and avoid painting to much detail. The silhouette is 90% of the design, but don't take my word on it. Do some research on it.

What you have is really good, now I think you need to start focusing on the next level.

Last edited by tAstyBITs : 11-02-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread