Explosions...WITHOUT FumeFX?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2018
Okay, I think I'm starting to understand this a bit better with those presets, so thanks again for that.
I have a particle-based explosion going on that actually looks non-horrible for once.

One question, tho: with particle emitters like SuperSpray, there is usually an option to set the particle size anda variation setting to make them diverge a little bit from each other, size-wise.
If there is a way to do this in PFlow, I'm having a hard time finding it; any help, there?

02 February 2018
What I've got so far:

The figure is just there for size reference.
Instead of using the "DustDevil.tga" file, I actually took the explosion footage from Fallout 4, which is animated and loopable, and used that; still on the fence about whether it looks better.
And I might want the smoke to clear out sooner, depending on what I'd use this for...regardless, this is the best I've ever managed with a particle-based explosion, and I like it. So, thanks, fellas!

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by BionicDance: Okay, I think I'm starting to understand this a bit better with those presets, so thanks again for that.
I have a particle-based explosion going on that actually looks non-horrible for once.

One question, tho: with particle emitters like SuperSpray, there is usually an option to set the particle size anda variation setting to make them diverge a little bit from each other, size-wise.
If there is a way to do this in PFlow, I'm having a hard time finding it; any help, there?
you should be able to scale the instance geo, be it a cube or cam facing sprite, with scale variance...pretty standard...

02 February 2018
I agree that I should be able to...I just don't know how.

MAX often gives things names that don't immediately sound representative of what they're going to actually do.It's possible that I'm staring the bit of menu-salad I need to play with right in the face and don't realize I'm doing it.

02 February 2018
say you're using Explosion preset,

there's Scale ops where he's got Variations...that's how you do it...

You could also do it at the instance level ie. in Shape Facing, there's Variation

02 February 2018
Oh. Right.

The thing I thought shoulddo it actually does...it just didn't work as I expected; the Scale Variation variables have to be really, reallycranked to see any difference happen.

reply share thread