Question: Why OCIO/ACES in a CG Pipeline?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Question: Why OCIO/ACES in a CG Pipeline?

Hey everyone.
I have been reading up on OCIO/ACES and while i get the intent in a movie production, what benefit is there in a CG production?

If say, Maya is linear at sRGB, nuke is linear at sRGB, and whatever the colorist is using is linear sRGB, and the final viewing screen is an sRGB monitor, then is there still a point for OCIO?

is it strictly a way to make sure that ONLY when LUTs are used, that the way a LUT gets applied to the footage it remains the same?
if no one is using a LUT in production, would there be no benefit to OCIO?

I would love a more in depth explanation from anyone who has plenty of experience with it already.
That being said, if LUTs are being used in a CG pipeline for everyone at every stage to see, doesnt that mean the colorist needs to come up with a LUT before even starting the rendering phase of pipeline?

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by EdgeIcon: ...
If say, Maya is linear at sRGB, nuke is linear at sRGB, and whatever the colorist is using is linear sRGB, and the final viewing screen is an sRGB monitor, then is there still a point for OCIO?

Most screens these days are capable of a higher gamut than sRGB, most likely including the one you are using now. The Rec. 2020 gamut for UHDTV covers over 75% of the CIE 1931 XYZ space, compared to less than 40% for sRGB. There will undoubtedly be devices with even larger gamuts in the future. One thing that ACES provides is a future-proof standard so that your content can always be remastered for new devices. OCIO provides a way to convert between your working, viewing, and output spaces.

gray

02 February 2018
Aha, That makes complete sense.
I had mistakenly assumed all monitors are the same. I completely forgot that we arent in the 2000's anymore :P
Thanks for the information!
I'm gonna continue researching into the subject for best practices and such then.
Thank you very much!

02 February 2018
Read some of the screen reviews for laptops on https://www.notebookcheck.net/

You'll see in the screen testing section just how much the image quality of computer screens differs.

They use professional testing equipment to measure things like screen brightness, contrast, color reproduction, gamut and so forth with hard numbers.

It is amazing how much the screens tested differ from each other. Many are very very bad. Some are decent. Only a select few are actually good quality.

reply share thread