C4D simple macmini render machine setup.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
C4D simple macmini render machine setup.

I am working on creating a simple rendering solution for Cinema 4d / After Effects work. I've already decided on the mac mini for my solution, it's now just a question of which solution below to choose.

I am debating on the purchase of either two (2) dual core i5 2.5ghz late 2012 mac mini's or a sing quad core i7 2.6ghz. Outside of upgrading the ram on both machines to 16gb, I plan on keeping them stock.

What's the best bang for the buck here in terms of use as a rendering machine(s).
Thanks!

11 November 2012
Id go for the i7 as it costs something like 600 less (when taking 16 GB of ram for each i5) than the two i5s while you get higher turbo frequency and hyperthreading. Only down is less ram per core but I don't think this is a problem with 16 GB.

11 November 2012
For many rendering tasks the i7 will be twice as fast (or even more) than the core i5.
Do the maths.

12 December 2012
Definitely go with the i7. Just make sure you place it in a spot with good ventilation. It gets hot when the procs are running full speed. It gets 6+ cinebench score.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Definitely go with the i7. Just make sure you place it in a spot with good ventilation. It gets hot when the procs are running full speed. It gets 6+ cinebench score.

I ended up going with a single i7 2.3 w/ 16GB ram. Def a very speedy box, and scalable too. A pretty great, no hassle setup for a freelance motion designer for sure. I had everything setup and running in 2 hours.

12 December 2012
Did you see GrahamWilson's setup in this thread?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=47&t=1079027

12 December 2012
Yeah I saw his setup. In the end I decided on the mac mini because I don't want to spend my time buying and assembling a computer. I'd rather focus that energy on working. My needs were for a fast, and fully warranted rendering solution that's scalable for the types of projects that I work on. For me it's the ideal solution.

UPDATE - Cinebench 11.529 score of 6.08!

Last edited by heyBear : 12 December 2012 at 02:59 AM.

09 September 2013
Ive been reading a number of Mac Mini related posts for rendering nodes with interest, and wonder what the actual speed difference is in CB score between the 2.3 and 2.6 i7 models!?
And actually, out of interest - what the 2.5 i5 CB's at!?

Both people have mentioned 6xx - just trying to work out whether the extra £80 for the 2.6 is worth it!?

Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread