need help with some of the files use too much RAM

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
need help with some of the files use too much RAM

Now is the situation: my work computer is windows 7 64 bit system with 32G RAM.
Since I use 3ds max 2012 64bit. It happened quite often that even I open a very simple model, the usage of the RAM goes to the top. I mean the max application used all 32G RAM and still very slow to open it and save it. I will attached the scene image, very simple. All the complex model is vray proxy.

I tried a lot way to solve the problem. like clean the scene, merge into a new scene. use 2013 to open. whatever, the problem still.

Does anyone has the same problem like me?

03 March 2013
Are you shore that MAX utilized all that RAM?
Did you check Task Manager to see which app use so much RAM?

03 March 2013
I do experience that Windows uses more memory if it finds more memory. I mean with 8 gb of ram on your system, you may see only 2gb used on a fresh boot, but 5-6 gb used if you have 32gb. On that case opening a simple Max file may consume 10 gb's more easily, but still your case is weird that it uses all 32 gb. Obviously your scene is not that simple and proxies also use a lot of ram.

Just a word of caution, some people think it is better to turn off virtual memory of Windows if the physical memory is that high, like yours. I don't recommend turning the virtual memory off even if you have a lot of ram and an SSD hard disk.

06 June 2013
same problem also to me

I was about to open a new topic regarding the same problem, but after some reserch, i see that somebody it's having the same problem like me.
With 32 gb ddram 3/cl9, with windows 7/64 bits, with an ssd card to run the system and the 3dsmax 2013, with a video card of 2 gb gtx660; when i am opening the file (1,5gb the file size), the ussage of my physical memory goes to 99%, and what it's more sadly, it's that that it stays like this..
I don't know what to do..but i am disperate about this...so maybe someone now some solution..?

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread