Generate Spline in the Middle of a Geometry

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Generate Spline in the Middle of a Geometry

Hi.

Is there a way to generate a spline in the middle of a geometry much like the one below? I understand there is an "Edge to Spline" command but it does not generate in the middle of a geometry. **

Please see file below for reference
Reference

Thank you for your time.*

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Yes, it is possible.

Select every other edge loop and use Character->Conversion->Selection to Joints command (hold down shift when using it). *Group the resulting joints into a hierarchy and then you can use*Character->Conversion->Joints to Spline to get your spline.

It must be every other edge loop because the command is converting the selection to points on the fly, so technically the points would be contiguous even though as an edge selection they don't appear to be.

-kvb

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Originally Posted by kvb: Yes, it is possible.

Select every other edge loop and use Character->Conversion->Selection to Joints command (hold down shift when using it). *Group the resulting joints into a hierarchy and then you can use*Character->Conversion->Joints to Spline to get your spline.

It must be every other edge loop because the command is converting the selection to points on the fly, so technically the points would be contiguous even though as an edge selection they don't appear to be.

-kvb

Thanks for the response. Just tried it but having this in "It must be every other edge loop" is somewhat time consuming (considering I have more than hundreds of them. Haha). Even if I take the COFFEE command line script for automation, the selection of the every other edge loop is manual.*

Is there a faster way to do this?*

I was thinking of somewhere along the line of this version*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjVH_VKHMmQ

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Sorry for the delay. *It doesn't literally have to be "every other". *I was just pointing out, in the context of my example instructions,*that the selection must be non-contiguous points. *Really you just need to make enough loop selections to cover the path of your object accurately and let the intermediate points of the resulting*spline rectify any lack of smoothing.

-kvb

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Originally Posted by kvb: Sorry for the delay. *It doesn't literally have to be "every other". *I was just pointing out, in the context of my example instructions,*that the selection must be non-contiguous points. *Really you just need to make enough loop selections to cover the path of your object accurately and let the intermediate points of the resulting*spline rectify any lack of smoothing.

-kvb

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, to be able to get this working, you need to click a single edge ring then proceed to the conversion. The problem is I have several tubes that is quite long and selected on a per edge basis rather than on per tube basis is somewhat time consuming.*

You can see what I am referring here:*https://www.dropbox.com/s/znr3h1o76...pline3.mp4?dl=0

I appreciate your response and it works but I am not sure there is a way to automate that selected single edge ring for all the several tubes.*

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Originally Posted by bentraje: Hi. Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, to be able to get this working, you need to click a single edge ring then proceed to the conversion. The problem is I have several tubes that is quite long and selected on a per edge basis rather than on per tube basis is somewhat time consuming.*

You can see what I am referring here:*https://www.dropbox.com/s/znr3h1o76...pline3.mp4?dl=0

I appreciate your response and it works but I am not sure there is a way to automate that selected single edge ring for all the several tubes.*

You can do it that way, but it's a lot slower. Try loop selections instead and make several non-contiguous selections and hold down shift when firing off the selection to joints command.

This is a sloppy example, but it should illustrate just how few selections you need to get a fairly accurate spline, but I would recommend increasing the number of selections to avoid a lot of cleanup afterwards.

-kvb

Old 6 Days Ago   #7
Hi Kvb. Thanks for the response. That is indeed an easier route.

With regards to the generated joints, is there a way to make them immediately in hierarchy (Parent-child)?

Currently, I'm doing them manually where I figure out which is the child and which is the parent.

As I understand,they need to be in hierarchy for the joints to spline command to work.*

Old 5 Days Ago   #8
Originally Posted by bentraje: Hi Kvb. Thanks for the response. That is indeed an easier route.

With regards to the generated joints, is there a way to make them immediately in hierarchy (Parent-child)?

Currently, I'm doing them manually where I figure out which is the child and which is the parent.

As I understand,they need to be in hierarchy for the joints to spline command to work.

Here's a script that might be helpful, but keep in mind there's a bug with the*GETACTIVEOBJECTFLAGS_SELECTIONORDER flag where the selection order isn't maintained with shift/rectangle selecting multiple objects. You'll need to add each joint to the selection one at a time (and even then c4d loses the selection order after an undo).

import c4d
from c4d import gui
#Welcome to the world of Python

def main():
    doc.StartUndo()
    activeObjects = doc.GetActiveObjects(flags=c4d.GETACTIVEOBJECTFLAG  S_SELECTIONORDER)
    rootObj = activeObjects[0]
    #print rootObj.GetName() 

for obj in activeObjects:
        if obj != rootObj:
            doc.AddUndo(c4d.UNDOTYPE_CHANGE, obj)
            obj.InsertUnder(rootObj)
            rootObj = obj

c4d.EventAdd()
    doc.EndUndo()

if __name__=='__main__':
    main()

Old 1 Day Ago   #9
Originally Posted by kvb: Here's a script that might be helpful, but keep in mind there's a bug with the*GETACTIVEOBJECTFLAGS_SELECTIONORDER flag where the selection order isn't maintained with shift/rectangle selecting multiple objects. You'll need to add each joint to the selection one at a time (and even then c4d loses the selection order after an undo).

import c4d
from c4d import gui
#Welcome to the world of Python

def main():
    doc.StartUndo()
    activeObjects = doc.GetActiveObjects(flags=c4d.GETACTIVEOBJECTFLAG  S_SELECTIONORDER)
    rootObj = activeObjects[0]
    #print rootObj.GetName() 

for obj in activeObjects:
        if obj != rootObj:
            doc.AddUndo(c4d.UNDOTYPE_CHANGE, obj)
            obj.InsertUnder(rootObj)
            rootObj = obj

c4d.EventAdd()
    doc.EndUndo()

if __name__=='__main__':
    main()

Thanks for the response. Apparently, the script does not seem to work. What I did was I click the Object A then Object B then run the script but I don't see any changes.*

Alternatively, I use a script referred in this video (https://vimeo.com/37115578). Saw this a long time ago and figured this will come in handy some day.*

Thanks again!*

reply share thread