Team Render Server R17 with exr format

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Team Render Server R17 with exr format

I have an animation that 1626 frames long at 6k 50 fps, i am rendering with vray and as a EXR with multipasses (around 10 passes to do comping in Nuke),
I have noticed that the render finishes say after 4 hours but needs at least another 10 hours to finish compiling the exr files.
It looks like it needs 1 minute to compile 2-3 frames.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience, is this normal and nothing else can be expected or one can do, that is how it is, or is there a workaround?

I have never had this problem before with png sequences.

Any advice/ help/ or experience would be great.

Regards

Carl Dixon*

Last edited by CWDesign : 2 Weeks Ago at 06:26 AM.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
We are talking about roughly 2GB of raw data per frame that do not have to be simply copied but processed and partly converted.
My guess is that you have an IO problem on the server. Check CPU and IO performance, as well as memory consumption on the server.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
I have no experience with exr. but if pngs work well it might be more convenient to use them and take the 10 minutes to link 10 passes into nuke

good luck
Jops

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Originally Posted by Jops: I have no experience with exr. but if pngs work well it might be more convenient to use them and take the 10 minutes to link 10 passes into nuke

good luck
Jops

Hi Florian,

I prefer pngs*as well, but my compositer*would like 32bit to work with thats why the EXR and it contains all the passes in one file, very practical.
Png can only render 16bit and they are clipped to 1 the compositer said, not sure what that means.

cheers

Carl

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Originally Posted by CWDesign: Hi Florian,

I prefer pngs*as well, but my compositer*would like 32bit to work with thats why the EXR and it contains all the passes in one file, very practical.
Png can only render 16bit and they are clipped to 1 the compositer said, not sure what that means.

cheers

Carl
Check this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-...c-range_imaging
It is something you should be aware about when creating a lighting setup.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Quote: I prefer pngs*as well, but my compositor*would like 32bit to work with thats why the EXR and it contains all the passes in one file, very practical.

Hi Carl,

cliped to 1 means that they do not have over dynamic. that means that white is white. In a 32 Bit Image there is still color information even in the areas that seem pure black or white.

I understand, that from a workflow side of view the exr is beautiful. especially for transferring stuff around. But if converting is a deal breaker you could setup cinema in a way that every pass is saved to one dir and zip that hirachy. Tiff can manage 32 Bit (and should save way quicker - which needs to be tested of course).

If I understand It right the different passes need to be extracted out of the exr in the comp anyway. so linking the passes to single image sequences doesn't seem to be that kind of a problem. But all this depends of if waiting for the conversion, or handling and sending files is more time consuming.

CU
Florian

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
You could try unchecking "Multi-Layer File" In the Multi-Pass Image save settings. That way you can still save 32 bit exr but you get a separate file for each pass. More files to manage, but you don't have the overhead of dealing with a 10 layer 32 bit EXR, which can be taxing on various systems.*

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
FYI: No matter which output format you choose, clients disregard that. A client always sends a single b3d file per frame to the server, including all layers. Once the server gets the first b3d file he starts converting them into the requested target format (B3D->Target Format). Depending on the number of layers and resolution this might take a while. But 10 hours is indeed a little bit intense. Btw, using the Render Queue discards also the step to convert the frames for the Picture Viewer.

reply share thread