MAX2014 Install Issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
MAX2014 Install Issue

I feel I have had this exact problem before but I can't find my posts that contained the solution.I am in the process of installing MAX2014 on multiple machines. It is installing fine on the XPx64 machines but I have an install problem on the Windows Server 2003 system. (Yes, I know XPx64 is not supported, etc., etc.).

The problem is this... my computers have multiple drives in each. On some systems, the C drive doesn't have much space left but the other drives have plenty of space. So in these systems, I am installing MAX2014 on drives other than C.

So during the MAX install process, a warning dialog pops up that shows all the drives and complains that there is not enough drive space on C, etc. I simply select the other drive with plenty of space and click OK and the dialog goes away and I proceed to install where I want. This has worked fine and some of the C drives have had less free space than the problem system.

But on the Windows Server 2003 system, this technique does not work. Even though there is plenty of space on the other drives (and 750MB available on C drive), the dialog refuses to let the installer proceed and install on the other drive with plenty of space!

Obviously, I will uninstall some apps from the C drive if I have to but they are all needed apps so I would rather not. Especially since it's only to placate an installer and I will be installing MAX2014 on another drive anyway.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 05 May 2013   #2
I believe it needs some space on the C: drive in order to install even if that's not where you're installing to. I imagine it swaps a bunch of files around whilst it's sorting its life out. I am familiar with your problem, and I think you'll just need to pop some files off of the C: drive - even temporarily. I suspect that at the end of the installation you'll still have 750mb free space.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Thanks for the ideas Dan!

You're probably right... but it's puzzling that the other systems had less free space on C yet installed on the other drives without complaint. Perhaps something about Windows Server 2003 requires more free space on C.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Certain items are hardcoded to the Program Folder like the Autodesk Material Libraries, Composite, etc. If you really want to customize the install look at the Setup.ini and you should be able to adjust the paths in there.

The following is a suggestion that may or may not work, and I haven't explicitly tested it myself.
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
If installing from CD copy the contents to HDD, otherwise open Setup.ini and change the line:
INSTALL_PATH=%ProgramFiles%\Autodesk
to another drive\path to have the applications installed into. Save and run setup.exe.

-Eric

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thanks Eric! I hadn't thought of editing the ini file.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 05 May 2013   #6
max 2014 also complains a lot trying to install on vista 64bit...i had to go and install a special file so the it would install properly.

I find it rather annoying that vista is not supported seeing as windows 7 is not much more than tweak of vista to be pretty fair.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 05 May 2013   #7
I was able to get MAX2014 installed on the problem system by uninstalling a couple of apps and re-installing them on other drives. This freed up a bit more space and then MAX2014 installed fine.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread