Animated displacement map / mapping

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Animated displacement map / mapping

Hello
Trying to create the effect of a wave going around a bend.
I used a single displacement map image w animated rotation to acheive this effect though i now realise i need a dynamic displacement effect.
So I have created an animated spline with geometry to represent the shape of the wave and where it needs to be.
http://youtu.be/li_TsdGujtI
I am hoping to render this geometry (from above) to create a series of displacement maps that will displace the blue bend area.
Questions.
1. I have assumed that i can use .avi or a series of images to create an animated displacement.Any body got any experience with this? Do i just use the normal displace modifier?
2. What mapping can i use to create...
a) mask gradient from side to side (as per red to blue in clip). Currently using face mapping for blue red gradient.
b) another mask gradient (concurrent with (a) above) from front to back so effect of displacement is less at back of wave. Pretty sure that face mapping wont work for this.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
you can also use your animated spline in a volume select modifier with soft selection enabled and then push (or xform or displace) the vertices upwards. You plane has to be subdivided quite a bit though to get a smooth displacement.
This way you can see and edit the effect right in the viewport.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Quote: 1. I have assumed that i can use .avi or a series of images to create an animated displacement.Any body got any experience with this? Do i just use the normal displace modifier?
Ys. Use an image sequence rather than a clip. Less hassle with codecs and compression.
Quote: 2. What mapping can i use to create...
Try a spline mapping.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
thanks hkrol. Great idea. Much more control. Preliminary work suggests this will work a treat.
skrimski thanks I was not aware of spline mapping

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread