Passion For Games?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
What I find hysterical is they still ask me that question in interviews.

Even though I worked on Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 3, Medal of Honor European Assault, Terminator Rise of the Machines, James Bond Quantum of Solace, XFiles Resist or Serve, Dead Rush, NBA 09, Lego Alpha Team, ..and few others, .. AND even my own iPhone game Karnak Attack on the iTunes store.

I still hear it in interviews,.......... "So,.. are you a gamer?"

Shoot me now,. or please stab me in the forehead with a plastic knife...
(and during the time working on all those titles, I didn't have an XBox,.. or a Playstation) I have an Xbox now,. and still don't play it. lol

09 September 2013
Maybe it's just to start a conversation? I used to play lots of games but recently all I play are casual mobile games. I too still have passion for game art. Halo opening cinematic gave me goose bump.

09 September 2013
This question these days is pretty much HR crossing their t's and dotting their i's. It's the equivalent of asking for rocket scientists with a passion for working with volatile substances.

The truth is, games companies big and small are quite often made up of a mix of gamers and non-gamers, and among the gamers you have your AAA gamers and Angry Birds gamers, and Call of Duty aficionados and obscure JRPG fans. Sometimes it might be better to not even let on what type of games you play at all

I think the "So are you a gamer?" question is probably an ice breaker. Personally I agree, a passion for art and a sign of talent are all that matters.

09 September 2013
I'm actually making a game and I'm a terrible gamer.

Seriously, the last game I finished was Dead Space 2. I have BioShock Infinite, Skyrim, and Mass Effect 3 still boxed at home.

I do buy a lot of the 'old classic' games, like the Sierra re-release of Space Quest, and a lot of the iPad Adventure Games - but that's more to show my support for the genre I love than to sit down and play the game!

That said, while I certainly wouldn't consider myself a 'gamer'. I do have a passion for games.

I watch Walkthroughs and Lets Plays CONSTANTLY of games that I'm interested in, and have a large selection of Art Of books. I try to stay up to date with the latest news sites (and industry happenings) and I'm (relatively) active on a few gaming forums.

09 September 2013
Hehe, I wonder if this is ever used as a trap question.

Interviewee: "Oh yes, I play games all the time until late at night."
Interviewer: (note) unreliable, probably late to work

wyattharris.com Dig it!

09 September 2013
I think it also helps immediately determine if you're going to fit the company culture. Its really going to depend on the company as to "how much it matters" though.

Draenei:Thread
Troll:Thread

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread