Need to 3D Print this...not working

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Need to 3D Print this...not working

Hey guys, I've been trying to fix this model to be able to 3D print for the past few days and I'm having trouble with it. Basically I need to find naked edges which I can find using the Select Using Constraints tool and then clicking onborder. I have to delete some faces and append polygon it. But for these parts, I can't get it to work because when I do delete the faces/merge vertices and then append it, it doesn't work. Any ideas?

11 November 2012
This is hard to troubleshoot without seeing the model.

A couple of things come to mind:

a) the append poly tool bugs out on me sometimes, resulting in a border edge where I appended a polygon for no good reason. Deleting the new face and redoing the append sometimes works. Sometimes simply appending from another direction does the trick. Sometimes not. Go figure.

b) Turn on display normals to see whether you inadvertantly managed to sneak in faces with reversed normals. Without Escher-esque magic a two dimensional surface cannot wind back on itself, resulting in a border edge where two faces with reversed normals meet.

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread