MGAC - 42 - The future, circa 1950

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2007
Arrow MGAC - 42 - The future, circa 1950

Looks like it's that time again

This weeks category: The future, circa 1950.

This time we're looking for that retro future look from 1950's sci-fi. Daeleks, flying cars, computers the size of of SUVs, vaccuum tubes, nixie tubes... flashing lights.

Examples:
http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=12-070
http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpa...-FullView-B.htm

EDIT:
1950's Architecture was referred to as Googie.
here's a nice database of 1950's style as well as a quick glimpse into the FUTURE!
http://www.spaceagecity.com/googie/

Have fun with this one, you've got a pretty wide spectrum to work with.

Limits:

* Tri limit= 702 triangles (up to 702 triangles, you do not have to use all of them.)

* Texture limit= 4 x 512 split between diffuse, normal, opacity/alpha and specular
Use your textures any way you see fit, so long as there is only a maximum total of 4

Deadline:

UPDATE: NEW DEADLINE IS THUSDAY, JULY 5th

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by kromano : 07 July 2007 at 04:31 AM.

06 June 2007
Cool concept IŽll join in on this one, but it seems to me that concepts recently have all been very open, would be nice to have something more narrowed down soonish :P

06 June 2007
You know, I think you may have a point there... Maybe there are just too many ideas scaring people away.

06 June 2007
1950's ray gun? wetta has some good ref for that.

or 1950's alien robot?

that would narrow it down

06 June 2007
So in other words: Bioshock Theme.

06 June 2007
Originally Posted by theabyss: So in other words: Bioshock Theme.

I don't think I'd heard of Bioshock before now, but the website looks pretty cool. When I was thinking of examples, Fallout is one that came to mind most. Indeed it is a retro 50's take on what they felt the future would look like.

06 June 2007
true! tho I think bioshock has a bit of a modern 'steampunk' edge to it.

06 June 2007
I love the subject matter of this topic. Hopefully I'll have time to enter!

Check out this link for more inspiration. This guy's stuff is AMAZING!

http://www.brotron.com/main/main.html

In particular I like the "Electrolux Death Ray" and the "Hamilton Demo-6." Check out the commercial for the death ray, too!

06 June 2007
Risistance fall of man plays in 1950 and is pretty sci-fi can we do that theme aswel? :P

06 June 2007
Originally Posted by Sordid23: Risistance fall of man plays in 1950 and is pretty sci-fi can we do that theme aswel? :P

The topic is pretty open for interpretation.. perhaps too open as was mentioned before. Put something together, these challenges are pretty informal I'm sure it'll fit the theme.

I just thought of a few more ideas for reference, the anime Metropolis and its original 1900-something silent movie that it was inspired from are good examples of that retro-future.

06 June 2007
Think Ill do a robot guy. I did some rough silouettes for his design. I think i am going with #4. If anyone is out of ideas, feel free to use any other sillouettes as insperation.

06 June 2007
Originally Posted by kromano:
* Tri limit= 700 triangles (up to 700 triangles, you do not have to use all of them.)

If I want to do environment, should this tri limit be applicable to the whole setting (which will be rather challenging but still cool) or to camera view (e.g. up to 700 tris visible at once)? Or I can even do just the part for still camera shot that will contain those 700 tris?

::my stuff

06 June 2007
I did an environment for the last MGAC just over 700 tris... although the room was pretty empty. I won't complain if you focus on a section of an environment so that the area on screen is 700 tris.

CodeNothing, those sketches look so awesome. I really like number 4. It reminds me of something, but I don't remember what it was exactly.... it's one of those things, uhh...
*end communication*

06 June 2007
Originally Posted by CodeNothing: Think Ill do a robot guy. I did some rough silouettes for his design. I think i am going with #4. If anyone is out of ideas, feel free to use any other sillouettes as insperation.

I like #s 3, 5, 6, 10 & 11. I think if you put the arms from 3 (only longer) on #6 it would look pretty cool. I like most of them, but a few (#4 included I think) don't quite fit. #4 looks good but I think for retro-futuristic you need to chunk up his skinny limbs a bit. #9 kicks ass, too, but again, it doesn't seem to fit as well.

Here's what I've got. It's an old concept of mine, a robot made from 1930s car parts.. I don't know whether I'll go with this or just a simple prop. Depends on time I guess.

Last edited by blacker : 06 June 2007 at 04:12 PM.

06 June 2007
hwy blacker thats a cool design but it doent strike me as even remotely 'circa 1950's' for starters you're using 1930s car parts, the overall proportions are very modern, its just meant to be in the future and you're using parts from the past, whereas codenothing doesnt seem to have a single silhouette there that doenst fit the bill perfectly, really nice designs there.

[edit] well ok so now my post looks stupid because you removed the pic boooooo!!

[edit #2] well ok so now my edit looks stupid because you re-posted the pic boooooo!!

Last edited by mrgrotey : 06 June 2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: 'because!' thats why.

Thread Closed share thread