vRay Reflections Noise

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2017
vRay Reflections Noise

Hello CGers

I know this is a common issue when talking about vRay, but still, after a lot of research I can't get it fixed right.
It's been a while since I've used vRay, so I guess this contributes to my problem, I'm using 3d studio max and vRay 3.2, and I'm REALLY struggling getting noise out of my reflections.
What I remember from my past use of vRay is that noise is connected to subdivs, so every time a reflective material is getting noisy I just increase subdivs (8, 16, 32...), but this is not solving my issue now.
I also know that increasing DMC global multiplier will increase ALL subdivs in my scene (so I guess also materials subdivs), but still, I've tried increasing it till a value of 8, and the noise still remains, I've also ticked clamp output and subpixel mapping and there are a total of 4 lights in the scene.

I'm posting my last render to show you the problem. No post, out of vRay:

In this case I have an HDRI in the GI env slot (not reflections/refractions slot), image resolution is 1920x1080 (I also totally forgot the ratio dimensions/subdivisions), image sampler is set to progressive, both materials and global DMC are increased (since I imagined DMC alone wasn't working), this is the end result, LOT os noise, any suggestion to understand what's going on?

11 November 2017
Try updating to the latest version there have been some good improvements

11 November 2017
Upgrading vray to 3.3 or newer (newer is better) will make it easier dealing with noise, as they've made it so you basically only need to adjust your image sampler settings. If upgrading is not a possibility, then I would investigate to make sure it isn't actually GI or lights causing this noise. Are you sure it's not your domelight, for example? You can quickly find out by adding non-RAW render elements like GI and lighting.

reply share thread