Octane 4 Beta

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by lancemoody: These comments by the plug-in developer certainly throw some cold water on things:

"I don't have any idea about V4 and plans of Otoy. So i don't have answers yet!"

He's wicked smart but a bit of horse's ass. Can be quite blunt and snarky. Reminds me of the soup Nazi. He'll figure it out. I wouldn't be surprised if they want to get the core 4.0 solid before handing it off to plugin developers. They also have to get feature lock down. I will say, encouragingly that standalone V4 worked w/out flaw for me today for about an hour. There are only a couple of things missing that I saw--like network rendering.

And the other thing about the plugin devs is that they've been busy working on getting 3.08 wrapped up.

It'll be 3 or 4 months, I would guess, before c4d users have a stable 4.0 in their hands.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 4 Weeks Ago at 06:29 AM.

4 Weeks Ago
Yeah, Ahmet the developer of the plugin is a brusque old bugger – but his reply (to me, actually) is bewildering. How can he not know what Otoy is working on? How can he possibly plan or schedule his work and future features without the knowledge that new builds are coming? So he's now beavering away on 3.08, when 4.0 is in the wild, albeit in beta. Will we see a 3.09? Who knows?

Otoy is making magic here, but the whole plugin development setup feels pretty shonky to me. That's not to denigrate the work Ahmet has done – he's made a brilliant plugin and he's only had money from me twice in the last however many years since Octane launched. But I wish the roadmap was clearer.

Last edited by Darth Mole : 4 Weeks Ago at 10:45 AM.

4 Weeks Ago
^^ And that's what makes me leery about jumping into Octane, even with these amazing new features. I've heard too many  stories of  behind the scenes behavior and general work ethics that lead me to keep my dollars with Redshift. They're not exactly slacking in the update department, with new builds every week or two, with plenty of bug fixes & new plugin features.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny:

Holy smokes! 

A) is for Amazing feature-list and performance
B) is Buy it for free on Mac (including AMD because Metal support) and use all those amazing features for personal or commercial work, apparently no limitations as long as you don't exceed two GPUs?
C) is for Competition serves us all.
D) is for Damn impressive Denoise tech

Octane 4 / 2018  is going to get a LOT of looks from a lot of people. 

I wonder if the two gpu limit will allow you to choose. For example if I have an iMac with 2 external GPUs with 1080TI's in them, I'd rather use those instead of the internal AMD card 

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: ^^ And that's what makes me leery about jumping into Octane, even with these amazing new features. I've heard too many  stories of  behind the scenes behavior and general work ethics that lead me to keep my dollars with Redshift. They're not exactly slacking in the update department, with new builds every week or two, with plenty of bug fixes & new plugin features.

My thoughts exactly.
This v4 looks interesting, if only for the free option. I'm leaning towards Redshift but I can wait a little longer, just want to see if Arnold GPU is finally coming out this year or not. If it does, than that's my choice, I personally think it has the best quality among the three and the best C4D integration.
Anyway, both Redshift & Arnold receive a good amount of update, and makes me feel safer in terms of future support.

4 Weeks Ago
Looking forward to the Mac release of the beta!

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by MikeFix: Looking forward to the Mac release of the beta!octane 
If you mean the AMD-compatible version...I think you'll be waiting awhile. Octane started over in their efforts, scratching their intensive attempts at faux-CUDA.  They  are going full Apple Metal now. So for Mac it's Octane on Metal, not CUDA.  That's a significant port and I suspect it won't be ready at the same time as the CUDA version. I hope I'm wrong!

The good news is that it should be robust, more element and have longterm legs.

3 Weeks Ago
No, I just think he means the OS X build of Octane. There are plenty of us with Nvidia GPUS in Mac Pros or using eGPU enclosures.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: If you mean the AMD-compatible version...I think you'll be waiting awhile. Octane started over in their efforts, scratching their intensive attempts at faux-CUDA.  They  are going full Apple Metal now. So for Mac it's Octane on Metal, not CUDA.  That's a significant port and I suspect it won't be ready at the same time as the CUDA version. I hope I'm wrong!

It depends on how different the Metal syntax is from CUDA syntax, and how big the total source code for Octane 4 is.

If a render engine is very fast, it usually means that the source code for it is pretty small - as few lines of code as possible, because each additional code line slows down the rendering.

So if the rendering-core of Octane 4 is say 50 to 100 Kilobytes in size in terms of source code, the port shouldn't take very long.

Unfortunately, there is no public information on how big the rendering cores of any commercial render engine are.

Its only open source renderers like Cycles where you can download the actual source code and do a code-lines count.

reply share thread