VFS || Houdini™ & Nuke™ Certification

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2006
Houdini Program at Vancouver Film School

A lot of threads have been started in regards to the Houdini/Nuke course being offered at the Vancouver Film School. This is great.

Just thought I would offer my two cents here in regards to a number of those threads.

First and foremost, the instructors will not be "teaching from some textbook" nor will they be "textbook learning". The instructors involved are very well versed in Houdini and Nuke. The lead instructor has has spent more then half a decade working for Side Effects Software and near a half a decade working for Digital Domain in Venice California, where Nuke was written and has been used in production for better then a decade.

The program is Visual Effects based, so character tools and related disciplines will not be part to the course.

This is an extremely intensive immersion program. Enrollment in this course means a student will be in class full time, in a lab dedicated entirely to Houdini and Nuke. After spending more the 24 hours per week in an instructional environment, each student must commit to an additional 16 hours to instructor assisted lab time.

The lab itself will be open to these students 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so many more hours will spent, learning, exploring and developing skills.

Any yes, Dops, Chops, Vops, Sops, and Pops will all be covered.

02 February 2006
Quote: hmmm.....$8995.00 CAD for a 16 week program

I would go if it cost that much... but i would be an international student and that course would cost me $26000.00 CAD... Anyone know why there is such an unbelievable price difference between the two?

My online portfolio

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by icedeyes: I would go if it cost that much... but i would be an international student and that course would cost me $26000.00 CAD... Anyone know why there is such an unbelievable price difference between the two?

goverment wants to make money from international student..I will imigine it is the case for most of the country.In Canada, intel student usually pay double or triple amount from normal canadian tution fees.

02 February 2006
I'm real old-school, but back in the day being a Houdini (well it was PRISMS back then) expert meant pretty much guaranteed employment.

It would be great if the school could clarify whether any discount tuition applied to non-Canadian citizens also.

04 April 2006
I wonder - would a large FX house like Digital Domain sponsor someone who has decent Houdini skills for a US work visa..

04 April 2006
from the website, this sound like a bargain if "Tuition for the program includes your own copy of Houdini Master" and its a permament licence. since its a $17.000 package.

04 April 2006
I suppose that means that every student will be using a workstation set aside just for them, with Houdini Master installed on it.

Originally Posted by FUG1T1VE: from the website, this sound like a bargain if "Tuition for the program includes your own copy of Houdini Master" and its a permament licence. since its a $17.000 package.

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by icedeyes: I would go if it cost that much... but i would be an international student and that course would cost me $26000.00 CAD... Anyone know why there is such an unbelievable price difference between the two?

I think the reasoning is, although it could probably be effectively disputed, that Canadians are paying their fairly high taxes (some of which are going to fund learning institutions), and thus should pay less, compared to a foreigner who has not contributed to the Canadian economy or tax base at all.

04 April 2006
Wow, i should really check it out, i was planning on heading to Vancouver for a course, and I really want to do Compositing and Editing, so this might be what I am lookin for, thanks.

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by prajna: I think the reasoning is, although it could probably be effectively disputed, that Canadians are paying their fairly high taxes (some of which are going to fund learning institutions), and thus should pay less, compared to a foreigner who has not contributed to the Canadian economy or tax base at all.

Well considering the outrageous sales tax in vancouver the above statment is void.

04 April 2006
I think the idea of simply having knowledge of a software is a hiring notion of 1994. You can certify your ass up and down, if you can't bring the creative power, it's more useless b.s.. Oh, and partnership with any VFX facility equals= bringing you in at insulting wages. They are breeding thier own cattle.

04 April 2006
that of course, goes both ways, im very technical, I know over 2 dozen program, pretty much by pure memory. I am somewhat artistic, really, all i need is someone to tell me what to do, and I can do it, alot faster than other people can.

04 April 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread