reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

cyborgs n stuff

I really like this kind of stuff Battle Angel, Ghost in the shell; at least I used to. that kind of stuff doesn't seem to be very popular in Japan though (at least as far as I know).

feed back appreciated.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

The cyborg/cyberpunk stuff was extremely popular in Japan in the 90's. Now, not so much. There's a new GITS TV series though, as well as a new Appleseed movie too, so it certainly still enjoys a certain level of popularity.

What do you plan to do with the Briareos image? Is it just a simple character portrait? If so, what kind of mood do you want to convey? Contemplative? Melancholic? Austere and gritty? Are you going to have a premise with a background so it's a scene instead of just a head on a blank background? Is this just a close-up and you'll be doing a complete scene with a visual narrative?

BTW, one of my first professional pieces of work (that I sold, way back in 1991, in the year I graduated high school) was a piece of Appleseed fanart:
http://www.ethereality.info/etherea.../appleseed.html

Last edited by Lunatique : 08-10-2014 at 03:59 AM.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

wow that's so ... wow ...

my tablet broke, and my computer was being ... well ... upgraded ...
so i didnt have anytihng ot do any art work with for a while :S

thus lack of progress

thought that studying things like this might help me improve

at first i thought that the color was orange but then it occured to me the color of anything is not often the color of anything ... well ... appears. the color of what things appears can be heavily influenced by their environment, by things and lights in their environment

ummm ... i still have trouble with coloring things T_T

Old 08-10-2014, 04:00 AM   #4
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Learning how light and colors work is extremely important if you want to become a proficient artist. There are very specific laws of physics that govern their behavior, and it's really not that hard to learn. A good place to start is this basic tutorial on lighting:
http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm

That's just the basics. There's a lot more beyond that, and you can learn the more advanced stuff from books, tutorials, workshops, etc. In the workshop I teach (linked below in my signature), we spend a whole week on just lighting, then another whole week on colors, and cover everything from the basics all the way to the advanced concepts.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

don't really have that much money right now :S

hmmm ... ive gotten pretty rusty. seem to recall being faster and better at this (not that i was very good to begin with) such as what occurs if your putting in 40 hours in survival job T_T i get maybe 4-5 hours in the day to do as i please. how do you organize your time?

prioritize what's important to you and just do that?

Old 08-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #6
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Time management and prioritizing are extremely important to any serious endeavor, and many people don't know how to do it efficiently. I spend a lot of time teaching my students just that, before anything else.

The mistake that most people make in life, is to not draw a protective circle around the things they hold sacred in their lives and then protect them fiercely. Too many just let all the other trivial and meaningless things dominate their lives and eat into all the things that are sacred, and then a few blinks later, they are already in their old age and wonder what happened to their dreams and aspirations.

You're supposed sacrifice everything else for the things you hold sacred, not the other way around. You'd be shocked at what human beings are capable of if there's the will, the willingness to make sacrifices, and the intelligence to be efficient and clever. The exact same life lived with more efficiency, cleverness, discipline, and passion, will become a totally different life. In the end it's all up to you.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

bla bla bla studying
yadda yadda yadda become better artist
so on and so forth how to improve

i feel like a broken record

feedback is appreciated

Old 10-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

You never told us what you're trying to achieve with this image and what the purpose is. I asked you a series of questions that would help me give you the feedback you need, but you never answered them. Here they are again:

Quote:
What do you plan to do with the Briareos image? Is it just a simple character portrait? If so, what kind of mood do you want to convey? Contemplative? Melancholic? Austere and gritty? Are you going to have a premise with a background so it's a scene instead of just a head on a blank background? Is this just a close-up and you'll be doing a complete scene with a visual narrative?

I can't assess your lighting, colors, composition, brushwork, etc, as effectively as I could if I don't know the answer to those questions.

As for the advice on artistic development, for a lot of people who aspire to become better, they don't know how to become better and thus build up a lot of bad habits, while using misguided mentalities and approaches--that is why I place a lot of emphasis on thinking critically and focusing on using the most effect methods for learning and improving.

reply share thread