feat
Scout
portfolio
Tristan Matchett
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot
will i miss anything by playing witcher 2 before 1

You probably wouldn't have much trouble picking up the story so far from the Witcher 2 but the first one is also a great game so why not start there?

Note that the game-play style of the two are fairly different. The second game is also much more demanding on your system.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #17
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
You probably wouldn't have much trouble picking up the story so far from the Witcher 2 but the first one is also a great game so why not start there?
Note that the game-play style of the two are fairly different. The second game is also much more demanding on your system.

thanks for the tip, i will add the witcher 1 to my list of games to play.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #18
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Be aware Witcher 1 is a VERY old game. It runs on the old bioware engine and is a top down click around rpg while Witcher 2 is completely different gameplay wise and look wise (still one of the best looking games out there). I would start with Witcher 2 to be honest and read about the story of Witcher 1 before you start and after you beat it go back and play Witcher 1 if you feel like it. Witcher 1 is a good game but Witcher 2 is the better game by a mile.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #19
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
Be aware Witcher 1 is a VERY old game. It runs on the old bioware engine and is a top down click around rpg while Witcher 2 is completely different gameplay wise and look wise (still one of the best looking games out there). I would start with Witcher 2 to be honest and read about the story of Witcher 1 before you start and after you beat it go back and play Witcher 1 if you feel like it. Witcher 1 is a good game but Witcher 2 is the better game by a mile.

Err, I think you're thinking of something else. The Witcher 1 is definitely third person over the shoulder, same as Witcher 2, and it's not that old (late 2007). It did use a modified version Bioware's engine, but the Aurora Engine (used for Neverwinter Nights), not the old 2D engine. Gameplay is different, and definitely improved in two, but it's not that huge a change; biggest difference is that in two you start out with access to all your spells, while in one you have to earn them one at a time (making for kinda boring early combat).

Old 08-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #20
Solothores
hairdo-kan

portfolio
E. S.
virtual fugitive
Switzerland

The PC version allowed you to switch your view between an over the shoulder and a more strategic isometric perspective, isometric view can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSNO8m4pnfI

The stone had skidded arc'd and bloomed into islands
Kamau Brathwaite

Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #21
fuss
Natural Born Sinner

portfolio
Marcus Holtgräwe
Germany

When I'm talking about Enzio... err, Geralt being out of character, what I mean is HOW he handled the situation after getting off the horse. His lines could be straight from the novels or the other games indeed. I could buy the argument about the events of the last two games making him even more bitter and cynical, though...

Still, it feels like someone is trying to ride on the back of the Assassin's Creed trailer to try and sell the game to a wider audience. So there's hope it's not representative of the actual gameplay.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #22
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
Be aware Witcher 1 is a VERY old game. It runs on the old bioware engine and is a top down click around rpg
Eww, did you play it that way!
Only joking. I tried the top down view but it didn't work for me. I preferred being closer to the action.

Honestly, the gameplay in both Witcher games is probably its weakest point. Part one has some unusual mechanics that felt like the developer was trying "something different" and it came off as unnecessary. Witcher 2 is much better but the fighting still feels.. not sure how to describe it, neutered? Then again, the beginning can be very frustrating because the enemies can clean your clock easily until you get some key skills.

Having said that, Witcher's story in both games is strong enough that I didn't care about the wonky gameplay and eventually you get used to it.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 08-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
fuss
Natural Born Sinner

portfolio
Marcus Holtgräwe
Germany

Just a heads up: enhanced editions of both The Witcher 1 & 2 are on sale at 75% off at Steam right now (that's 1.99 and 4.99 for each one respectively in my region). For those of you who have been on the verge 'till now, you really can't go wrong with this. Both games are absolutely worth it!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/20920/

Old 08-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #24
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

Damn you. I hope you'll get punished for this.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #25
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread