PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada

Blender 2.68 is available

Blender 2.68 is out!
Go get it!
Download Blender 2.68

The Blender Foundation and online developer community is proud to present Blender 2.68. Many different mesh modelling tools were added and improved. Cycles render performance was improved on Windows and on GPU's. The motion tracker can now automate placement and choice of markers more with new tools. Smoke rendering quality has been improved to reduce blockiness.Python scripts and drivers are now disabled by default when loading files. This is for improved security, without this feature malicious .blend files could cause problems. See the Python security documentation for details.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
jtheninja
Doesn't Have a Title
portfolio
Jason Clarke
Generalist-type person
Portland, USA

Release notes are here:

http://www.blender.org/development/...gs/blender-268/

The new grid fill tool is pretty awesome: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D...Faces#Grid_Fill No more filling holes and going "wait a sec, how did this mesh go together again?". Some cool updates to the smoke/fire sim as well.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

That Python security issue seems kinda odd frankly.
If I have a script associated with my scene its for a reason-and i usually
know what it does and would be pissed if i am prevented from loading scenes. I've had scripts fail because of backward compatibility issues-but never because they were malicious and viral.

Its not like scenes get tagged with random viral scripts 'accidentally'?!
I don't see the use for normal production software except in a special debug scene loader capacity (Softimage has stuff like this-but its a preference).

Old 07-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada

I guess the security feature is more about those that share project files. Blender philosophy is deeply linked to an open, cooperative/community ideal. But has we all know, not everyone we meet on the net is legit.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusboy
That Python security issue seems kinda odd frankly.
If I have a script associated with my scene its for a reason-and i usually
know what it does and would be pissed if i am prevented from loading scenes. I've had scripts fail because of backward compatibility issues-but never because they were malicious and viral.

Its not like scenes get tagged with random viral scripts 'accidentally'?!
I don't see the use for normal production software except in a special debug scene loader capacity (Softimage has stuff like this-but its a preference).

The latest version just released and I haven't test it yet, however I do follow the developer mailing list. It has been discussed regarding this, and I don't remember the general consensus.

But some of the options does involve directories. I think one of the solution was that you can set the directories as 'safe'. This way any new blend you download off the net can be saved into directories that is 'not safe' until you analyzed the code and know its safe.

By labeling directories as safe, this security will not mess with your current projects and what not.

Check the 'excluded path'.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D...Python/Security

I hope it helps!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

Thanks to all the developers, the people behind the scenes doing all the lifting. Many gratulations on a new release!

Old 07-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

I swear those good folks at the Foundation are downing far too many Red Bulls...

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 07-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
CorsairX
Frequenter
Andrew
Queensland, Australia

2.68a was released to address a couple of crash bugs identified after release, notes here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D...ase_Notes/2.68a

Old 07-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread