CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
sonn
Know-it-All

switching between sub-object levels

...is pretty damn slow and annoying. I'm not sure if this is just my max or not, but I find it aggravating that every time I want to switch from one subobject to another, which I'm doing all the time, everything freezes because the modifier reloads the options for every subobject. I feel like there should be a way to select and move subobjects quickly without going through this. Even when I'm on multi selection mode, the switch slowdown still occurs when clicking on different subobjects. Is this pretty much something I have to get used to as a max user?

edit: using max 2011

Last edited by sonn : 10-09-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Nope. I use hotkey 4,5,6,7 for sub objects as my 1,2,3 are for nav. Lightning fast here. Are you using an aero pointer, virtual HID wacom?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
robinb
Expert

This has got worse since the ribbon was introduced. It was at its worst in Max 2011 I think. It's not as bad in newer versions. Still worse than before, but not as bad.

It might be a bit quicker if you minimise the ribbon or hide it altogether. But you lose a lot of useful tools if you turn it off.

It's very annoying, I agree.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
sonn
Know-it-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
Nope. I use hotkey 4,5,6,7 for sub objects as my 1,2,3 are for nav. Lightning fast here. Are you using an aero pointer, virtual HID wacom?

Nope. I don't believe I use any of that. The problem definitely seems to be the modifier loading/unloading for every sub object. It might not seem like a big deal at first, but it is when I'm modeling something fast for 8 straight hours and have to wait for the 1-3 second freeze every time I change to a different sub-object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
This has got worse since the ribbon was introduced. It was at its worst in Max 2011 I think. It's not as bad in newer versions. Still worse than before, but not as bad.

It might be a bit quicker if you minimise the ribbon or hide it altogether. But you lose a lot of useful tools if you turn it off.

It's very annoying, I agree.

Yes, that was probably the first thing I did when the ribbon was introduced. I hotkeyed what I needed and closed the menu. Unfortunately it's still slow. It's an annoying hitch in the middle of the modeling process....

Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Oh yeah I finally get it. You are modelling with an edit poly modifier on top of whatever. Yeah I just use the straight model itself. The only slowdown I get is with skining modifiers or the uvwunwrap. Hmmm, can you model straight to the model itself without the mod?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
ZephyrStar
Random Animation Goon

Chris Bobko
Indie Animator
Raleigh, USA

Yeah, collapse your edit poly. I generally just work on the same poly mesh and get it perfect before I start modifying it with anything.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread