Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-06-2005, 12:01 AM   #136
Shaidar
Veteran
Daniel Rigos
Artist
Australia

Good point about the definition of styles/genres/movements. I agree. I guess you can theorize endlessly about art, but at a basic level it is all about the artist and what she/he is creating. Genres may not fit, artists make the genres!

It must be that this website just doesn't attract (and accept) abstract CG art. I completed a Bachelor of Digital Arts at University last year with a major focus on animation and digital video. There certainly was a major emphasis on abstract/contemporary styles and only a couple of students just focused on photorealism. I have noticed that the schools that aim purely at industry/film/entertainment seem to almost entirely care about teaching students about realism, how to make something look real; how to get the student a job in the industry. Whereas schools that have more of a fine arts background are more concerned with giving the student a background in classic and contemporary art, and pushing the student's own artistic style (whether it be abstract or realism).

I guess what it comes down to is whether this site (well CGsociety in general) is just about the entertainment industry and realism, or if it is about CG as a medium for the generation of art (whether it be for entertainment, or purely for arts sake). Is it a site to represent art and artists in general, or is it being selective and only representing a certain part of the CG art medium.

Looking at the big banner at the top of the site it says: "CGSociety: Enhancing Digital Arts". If this is really its goal, I think it should be accepting of all forms of digital arts!

Old 09-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #137
PSR
Veteran
Parm Rai
Artist
London, United Kingdom

I totally agree.

There is definitely a distinction to be made. Between job training, and art education. Enhancing digital arts is an inspired idea. That can only benefit, from the contribution of artists from as broad a spectrum of practice as possible.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #138
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread