Motorized Jester

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #1
Motorized Jester

Hi all
Inspired by Bioshock:Infiniti's Motorized Patriot and Devil May Cry's marionette enemy, this is a steam-punk automaton shaped like a jester marionette.

The concept behind is that this automaton was build for amusement purpose during late nineteenth century (for stage play or street performance) , but it fallen into the wrong hand and re-purposed it into killing machine.

I model it in Maya, texture paint in Mari and cloth sculpting in zbrush. So far Im working on the background (I planned for a night street) and its tattered cloth. I will put 2-3 of it in a single composition so it looks like a zombie apocalypse.

Here's my progress so far, C&C are welcome !!

Zbrush sculpting of the jester costume

Some camera testing and composition

[/IMG]

Old 12 December 2013   #2
I like the design, the modeling/scupt work looks great.

But I am not feeling the render. I think there is something weird about the textures, particularly the white spots.

Old 12 December 2013   #3
I think it might be the scale. The white spots, I'm assuming, are intended to be paint coming off, or the remains of paint that was once there (it is unclear)? They're very large, which gives the impression that this is a very small object, when I assume it's supposed to be humanoid in height?

Old 12 December 2013   #4
Originally Posted by PKD: I like the design, the modeling/scupt work looks great.

But I am not feeling the render. I think there is something weird about the textures, particularly the white spots.

Thanks !!
You mean the metal's texture? I myself got some doubt on the noisy texture actually.

Old 12 December 2013   #5
I think the white spots throw off the scale - it's also unclear as to what they are supposed to be - remnants of paint? Dirt? The scale is also so large it makes this seem like a toy-sized object, whereas I get the impression it's supposed to be human scale.

Old 12 December 2013   #6
Originally Posted by FreshRender: I think the white spots throw off the scale - it's also unclear as to what they are supposed to be - remnants of paint? Dirt? The scale is also so large it makes this seem like a toy-sized object, whereas I get the impression it's supposed to be human scale.

Thanks for the comment
What I trying to achieve for the texture is worn bare metal kind, maybe I should dial down the "white-ish" noise on the texture. What's in my mind is somewhat similar to this:

Old 12 December 2013   #7
Here's a little update on the clothing (no texture yet)
Will add in some decorative bell on the edge of the pointy hat and shoe.

Old 12 December 2013   #8
That's looking better, but I think what you're trying to do is bake lighting information into the texture, when really you should be trying to make the material reflect light properly. So right now I'm not sure what material your jester is actually made of; the coloring is almost new copper, but the weathering and your image look like wrought or cast iron. Do some research on properties of metals, or look through old style manufacturing methods. You can also try throwing on a metal material and doing a quick render to get an idea of what you're trying to end up with.

This is a cast iron Buddha mask;

Full disclosure, I work at this company, but Lagoa has a really solid physically-based rendering solution and has some great built-in metal presets. You could try registering and uploading your model, and throw on some metal textures (we're also really looking for user feedback).

If that's too much, we do have a materials guide that might also be able to help you;

http://support.lagoa.com/2013/05/17...terial-library/

Last edited by FreshRender : 12 December 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #9
Originally Posted by FreshRender: That's looking better, but I think what you're trying to do is bake lighting information into the texture, when really you should be trying to make the material reflect light properly. So right now I'm not sure what material your jester is actually made of; the coloring is almost new copper, but the weathering and your image look like wrought or cast iron. Do some research on properties of metals, or look through old style manufacturing methods. You can also try throwing on a metal material and doing a quick render to get an idea of what you're trying to end up with.

This is a cast iron Buddha mask;

Full disclosure, I work at this company, but Lagoa has a really solid physically-based rendering solution and has some great built-in metal presets. You could try registering and uploading your model, and throw on some metal textures (we're also really looking for user feedback).

If that's too much, we do have a materials guide that might also be able to help you;

http://support.lagoa.com/2013/05/17...terial-library/

Thanks for the help!!
I decided to settle with iron material because the jester is suppose to be robot from old time.
I adjust the textures in MARI and here's what i got so far:

Old 12 December 2013   #10
That looks much better, but now the texture needs depth - you've got the black on the same level as the gold - the goldish color is probably more of a paint. It's also too mottled - think of how this damage would have occurred. It would have been scratched, nicked, etc - sharp objects dragging along a surfacec create gouges.

Old 12 December 2013   #11
I love the design and the creepy pose of the earlier renderings!
I would use two sort of metals, some bronze and some silver-ish just like the Automaton of Hugo. That could help to make certain parts more readable.
Very nice work so far!

Cheers
Andre

Old 01 January 2014   #12
Hi and happy new year everyone !!
Thanks for the comments, I've been wrestling with metal texture for quite a time.
I added some layers of dirt and peeled paint, tweaked the base color too.
Here's progress

Still need some work on the cloth texture, started to work on the background too

Old 01 January 2014   #13
Amazing work and creative. I just think its a bit too shiny.

Old 01 January 2014   #14
Thanks for the comment !!
My progress been slow because i got alot to learn.
I toned down the glossiness of the metal but increased the reflectivity of the MIA shader to catch more hightlight.

I experiment with lighting and composition (I didn't think them through before), my aim is to create horror atmosphere like this Jack the Ripper:

Here's what i got:

I will give the 2 minion behind some tattered cloth with different color/design, than add some foggy backlight behind.

More feedback and suggestion will be much appreciate!!

Last edited by chanyy : 01 January 2014 at 07:18 AM.

Old 01 January 2014   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread