Beast Boy Head

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #1
Beast Boy Head

I'm continuing to go back into some old projects I didn't finish from years past now with this head model from 2007. I originally intended to make Beast Boy from head to toe, but now I'm thinking its best to just go with what I have here and just make the best head that I can and not get too daunted by trying to do too much. Besides my portfolio doesn't have a close up of a head.

Questions.

1) Do you think it would be better to make maybe a shot from the waist or chest up maybe like below or stick to a head:
http://features.cgsociety.org/newga...89691_large.jpg
Personal preference? It might help establish the character better, not sure.

2) How does the model look? So far all I did was make the ear a little bigger and move it closer to the eyes. I am intending to take this into Mudbox fast.

3) This is intended as a portfolio piece. I'm looking at my gallery thinking its decent but lacking anything special to stand out so any advice as to where I can go here to make the best piece possible is appreciated.

Here some references if you don't know the character:

http://media.animevice.com/uploads/...bfsxjygiqz_.jpg
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/_...1/Beast-Boy.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by ScottMichaelH : 01 January 2014 at 06:01 AM.

Old 01 January 2014   #2

Here's an update. The ears still need worked. I'm not sure how to do the hair. I'm thinking maybe a separate mesh to sculpt?

Old 01 January 2014   #3
what is you real reference for anatomy? Because the character is a bit flat from the front

Old 01 January 2014   #4

Here's another update and couple of my references. Obviously he is a comic character who has been drawn countless times so I need to make my own likeness. I started with a bit of Matt Smith and started added Nick Jonas because I was afraid he looked old.

Thanks

Old 01 January 2014   #5
See if you can get a side profile of his face as well. That'd help with seeing where features should be. If you simply can't, find a generic side profile of a guys head at least.

Old 01 January 2014   #6

Last edited by Scote : 01 January 2014 at 12:47 AM.

Old 01 January 2014   #7
Update:

Heres another reference I have been using:

Thanks much. Do you think the mouth and chin are too far forward? I do think the cheeks and lips are better now. Thoughts?

Old 01 January 2014   #8
I did a quick liquided effect in photoshop to correct your proportion base on the ref side view you share. Mainly you skull was wrong and the height of the eyes and mouth too. But it can be fix easy

Also get a look on my Pinterest Anatomy group for proportion and shape. Example the eyes are the soul of a model. You need some modifications on yours to match a real one or a dc comic one.

Last edited by Scote : 01 January 2014 at 02:17 PM.

Old 01 January 2014   #9

The eyes are tough for sure. They're too important and there is so much there. The slightest change and it looks like someone else with a different expression. I'm thinking of going to the hair next so he won't look like Captain Picard anymore. Having said that, I'm not decided on how I will do it. I'm guessing a blocked out mesh from 3ds Max and then sending it into Mudbox to shape.

I can't say enough about the help I'm getting. Thank you. That Pinterest page is gold.

Old 01 January 2014   #10

OK, I had a minor scare with my system and it looks like it was a fluke involving maybe some dust in the video card (hopefully). Everything is running fine now, except I cannot open open my file for this project. At one point I was working and it shut off unexpectedly. I had one previous state that was from before I restarted the whole thing once already. I searched for the .BAK file but that isn't working either. Lesson learned to save a lot of files.

Am I right to say I am forced to start over again? thanks

Edit: I'm taking the angle view above into Photoshop and painting under it as a multiply layer. I'm going to at least try it considering how far I was.

Last edited by ScottMichaelH : 01 January 2014 at 03:10 AM.

Old 01 January 2014   #11
don't tell me you overwrite a single file? you must have Zbrush backup autosave

Old 01 January 2014   #12
True story ... In the past I've been very good about saving several files (like head01, head02, head03, etc.) but on this one I haven't been good. I've saved over the same file since I started over at one point (before the first sculpt I posted). I'm using Mudbox not ZBrush, don't know if there is any sort of auto backup feature here. Maybe I just got caught up in how easy it is to make changes when sculpting as opposed to poly modeling that I got over confident.

Here's what I've been up to tonight:

How close do you feel I was? I felt I was ready to stop and make the hair anyway. I tried sculpting it and failed ... decided I was going to do it in 3ds Max. I was planning on painting in Mudbox so I don't think the texture will take a hit this way.

Old 01 January 2014   #13

I'm happy with this and going to sleep on it.

Old 01 January 2014   #14
And done:

http://scott31.cgsociety.org/portfo...-detail/1147308

Old 01 January 2014   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread