Vray Pixelated Reflections,

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Exclamation Vray "Pixelated" Reflections issue, desperately in need of help!

Well I'm officially confused! Iv'e been using settings which have worked for every other test render and reflections work flawlessly, so it makes me think it may be down to the material and how iv'e gone about doing it. The reflections seem to be very pixelated

They appear to be "locked" to the polygons, iv'e no idea why. The material is designed so I can mask out the campervans paint job and change the colours of the top and bottom parts easily. The material is set up like so:

Its only this material it's happening too, all the other tests render fine with the original settings

So im thoroughly confused, if you have any ideas what could be causing i'd be greatly thankful

Regards,
Tom

EDIT: This is driving my insane. I'm gnawing on my hand at the moment in anger. i think it may be the mesh itself causing the issue (I added another smooth to the mesh and it seemed to "solve" the issue however the poly count is insane, and reflections work fine on the doors with identical meshes. Words can not describe how frustrated i am.

Last edited by Mouseyflash : 07 July 2013 at 06:55 AM.

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Friendly little bump!

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Try to set the filter on file image to "off"

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Originally Posted by ytsejam1976: Try to set the filter on file image to "off"

I just tried this, and it didn't do anything unfortunately. In the melscript "V-Ray warning: Unsupported texture VRayMtl" keeps getting posted, perhaps the blend isnt' compatible with the vray material? Although ive used the vray colour blend and this did the same thing too I think

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Have you tried smoothing the normals on the mesh?

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Originally Posted by nookie: Have you tried smoothing the normals on the mesh?

I'm in absolute praise of you kind sir that worked flawlessly! I'm so happy it didnt mean me re-modeling the entire thing, phew!

However it seems to of made ANOTHER issues apparent, you know, because modelling is fun like that. The reflection settings for all the materials are the same its just the masking image which has changed but its not even bothering with the reflections for 2 of the meshes?

So confused! Ill try re-making the materials quickly!
Edit: This did nothing!

Last edited by Mouseyflash : 07 July 2013 at 01:18 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Perhaps the normals are facing the wrong way (inwards) of the meshes that does not have the reflection?
Select the object in question. Go to display --> Polygons --> face normals.
A little green line appears on each face. It should point out from the mesh not in.

Old 07 July 2013   #8
I swore I had checked all the normals! You were right, I face palmed myself when I realised I hadn't inverted them.

Thankyou, once again you saved my ass!

Vray, why you so complicated and why do i forget to do important things!

I'll post a WIP thread sometime soon and ill be sure to post here if i have any more issues!

Thank-you everyone

Old 07 July 2013   #9
just in case about the normals stuff isn't Vray fault that will happen with any render ....

Old 07 July 2013   #10
Yeah, I realised what I had done.
I have a seperate save for my lighting tests so all i do is copy the meshes over to test them, i had copied the meshes over, and then in a later version of the main file i went around checking all the normals. that'll teach me!

It's all working perfectly now!

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread