Snapping to Grid in 3D?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Snapping to Grid in 3D?

Is this possible in Maya?

I can only get items to snap along the grid floor in perspective or in an ortho view. I would like it to work in 3D perspective like it does in Softimage.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Originally Posted by cineartist: Is this possible in Maya?

I can only get items to snap along the grid floor in perspective or in an ortho view. I would like it to work in 3D perspective like it does in Softimage.

What do you mean by 3D perspective?
Like snapping in the 3D space other than the grid: snapping to a vertex for example?

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Snapping to the grid as it goes out to infinity in 3D space. Like It works in Softimage, Blender, LightWave Modeler and I am not sure where else.

In these other apps when you select the "Snap to Grid" option, icon whatever, it snaps to a 3 Dimensional Grid, which includes but is not limited to the grid floor.

Maya seems unique in this respect as it seems limited to the grid floor. Or of course snapping to the grid in an ortho view, but it does not respect snapping on the grid mapped to 3D in a perspective view.

Maybe there is a setting I'm missing?

Old 06 June 2013   #4
I'm afraid I cannot be of help here.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
After you draw your object off in space while holding 'x', you can again hold 'x' and drag on a manipulator axis (in this case the y manipulator) to snap the object up and down in y.

If you would like to constrain the movement of your object to a specific plane, like in 3ds max, you can Ctrl+left click one of your manipulator axis. This will change the little box at the center of your manipulator to the plane of movement. This allows you to move on a plane without using snapping.

Clicking on x = yz, y = xz, z = yx. to return to the default manipulator Ctrl+left click the square at the center of the manipilator.

Hope this helps.

gibby3d.com

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Thanks for posting, but no. Not what I am talking about.

This is rather odd to not have this common feature. Maya is the only app I have tried that does not have it by default.

Is there some setting to change someplace?

By the way if anyone still does not know what I am referring to consider opening up another application and giving grid snapping a go in perspective view (moving the object on all 3 axes) and compare to Maya.

Last edited by cineartist : 06 June 2013 at 09:34 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Originally Posted by cineartist: Thanks for posting, but no. Not what I am talking about.

This is rather odd to not have this common feature. Maya is the only app I have tried that does not have it by default.

Is there some setting to change someplace?

By the way if anyone still does not know what I am referring to consider opening up another application and giving grid snapping a go in perspective view (moving the object on all 3 axes) and compare to Maya.

could you please post a screenshot?

gibby3d.com

Old 06 June 2013   #8
The 3D grid is invisible. It is not something you can see. You should be able to snap on not necessarily to X Y and Z in increments as set in the grid prefs.

If you are still not sure, do as I say and open up another app. Blender is free. Softimage has a trial. Not sure how it works in Max, but I would have assumed it was the same, but perhaps not, which would be rather unusual from my experience anyway.

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Try the j key with MMB and drag on a translate manipulator handle. I don't know if it will snap to grid, but it does snap to 1 unit increments.

EDIT: It does snap to grid, use shift-j for the relative mode.

After playing with this I found there is a option called discrete move in tool settings. It will snap to grid with this option turned on and there is another option below it to relative snap.

Last edited by fleabay : 06 June 2013 at 01:55 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Discrete Move and the J short for it is the ticket. Damn! I had not even thought to look at the tool settings. Thought it would be a global setting. Not snapping to "grid" but the same effect.

Buy you a beer!

Thanks!

Note: Relative (off or on) only works in Global Move setting. But that is a great feature. Turn it off and your object will snap to the nearest point in the 3D virtual grid even if it was off to begin with. On of course snaps to the relative distance from where it was.

Last edited by cineartist : 06 June 2013 at 08:22 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread