Maya_ Vray Displacement_ Issues

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Maya_ Vray Displacement_ Issues

Dear cgtalk community

I am learning vray for maya, i watched quite the tutorials but there is a big gap about
vray - maya displacement networks topic... which is completely blurry for me.

without further ado, i want to simplify my question.

Do we create displacement networks by Create>Vray - Apply single displacement node to selection or Do we do it by attaching a displacement node to vray shading network,
which i did as in mentalray as before ?

But there is this huge section in the VrayDisplacment node which we can reach from the outliner tab, ( i learned quite the chunk about viewport subdivision optimizing in these attributes) and from VrayDisplacement node i couldnt attach a texture to Displacement Mat. attribute

when i tried to attach a texture by clicking the checker button next to Displacement mat.
connection editor keep coming up...

how do i attach displacement maps to Vray displacement nodes, ?
i kept googling it but there isn't an explanation for this.

thanks

sincerely

a.eren

Old 02 February 2013   #2
attach a file to the shading group's Displacement setting it's the same for V-Ray as it is for mental ray.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Create>Vray - Apply single displacement node to selection
^
I think you're confusing 2 things. Forgive me if I misunderstand.

1. The displacement "map" itself has to be created/connected in hypershade. Select your material, go to the SG node and you'll see a "displacement mat." slot. You can click on the option box, or middle mouse drag a file node onto it. Maya will generate a displacement node for you automatically between your file node and SG node.

2. The Create Vray Displacement Node you see in the create menu, you apply that on your objects. Not materials. It controls displacement amount and some other things on a per object basis. There are 3 main ways you can do this

2.1 is to add it to a single object. You do this by selecting the object's shape node. In the attribute editor, go to Attributes > Vray and there will be all sorts of Vray attributes you can add.

2.2 is to add it to many objects at once, each object having their own separate control. You do this by going to
Create > Vray > Vray Displacement > Apply "multiple" Vray displacement to selection

2.3 is to add it to many objects, creating only 1 Vray node that controls all selected objects at once. Similar to 2.2 but instead you choose "single" instead of multiple. This new node will be available from the outliner.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
thanks panupat for your detailed reply also thank you cg beige for your comment.

panupat i am going by your answer, i have a few questions for you if you may...

1.1) by your directions i attached a displacement map to shading group and get well results
something close what i did in zbrush but i didnt use Create>Vray- apply a displacement node,
instead i opened vray extra attributes and optimized some subdivisions for render timing...

and if i want to add vector displacement do we also add it from shading networks?

1.2) in all these parts i didnt use create>vray apply vray displacement method ,
do i miss too much not using it ? i couldnt use it; because i could not attached a texture to
displacement mat. option

2) are there any settings in vray displacement map attributes which is extremely important in the vray displacement attributes, that also you prefer to use ?

thanks for your answers

Last edited by arpaci : 02 February 2013 at 06:54 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
1.1 You can do it either way. I'm too used to using color balance and offset myself. But if you look up tutorials, many of them will use only Vray displacement attributes (specifically, the Displacement Amount and Displacement Shift) without touching the color balance/offset.

1.2 I've never compared, but should be the same. If you use 16-32 bit images, don't forget to add "allow negative value" Vray attribute to your file node.

2. Probably max subdivs. And "Keep Continuity" if your model has hard edges.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Red face

i am so sorry , i was editing my question it took a little time editing it,
you already answered what i have written before ...

i have changed it

Old 02 February 2013   #7
thanks for all the tips

Last edited by arpaci : 02 February 2013 at 10:21 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread