How to make parts of the texture glow and appear to be a constant color.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
How to make parts of the texture glow and appear to be a constant color.

I am texturing a ship usign the mia_material shader, and I want to make the windows glow as if a light is on. I have made a texture that will lineup with the diffuse and also has a alpha so the lights will be cut out. I just need to know how I could apply these glowing window lights.
Also, should I be using the mia_material shader. I intend to render out using Mentalray.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
connect a "mia_light_surface" (under mr > textures) to the advanced > additional color channel for glow effect w/ GI/FG

Old 02 February 2013   #3
glow is really slow to compute at render time though, so you probably want to do that in post.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Thank you.
I have noticed a couple of things.

I can apply the light texture (.tif image) to my Advanced>Additional Color and this light texture will be applied as a constant color. Also if I turn up the Color Gain of this texture it just increases the constant color brightness, giving the effect of a light without the need for the "mia_light_surface"
I have also noticed that this light texture (I am using a .tif) doesn't need a Alpha channel it seems to overlay or multiply the texture map to the existing diffuse. Is this true or does the black in this texture actually contribute to the diffuse in some way?

Also I have noticed in the Hardware render (using Viewport 2.0) in the camera viewport this added texture (the lights) doesn't appear. Is there a way to make it show up in hardware render?

Last edited by mettam : 02 February 2013 at 05:44 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread