Double Negative lays off 200+...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #121
Originally Posted by earlyworm: It's not - that's been clarified by Dutch. However you responded to my earlier suggestion that it might be with "Montreal is a fun city but you're largely stuck with local talent due to a number of factors.".

I couldn't make sense of what you were trying to say so I was asking for clarification as to what you meant. Why are you stuck with local talent in Montreal? How does this relate to a foreign studio either A) visiting on a recruitment trip? or B) looking to start up a facility in Montreal?

I am genuinely interested to know.

if you're visiting for recruitment, anywhere, you generally, on purpose, are looking for local talent, not internationals already there, so i wasnt touching base on this.

In regards to opening a studio, there are a few negatives which i can list off the top of my head. To note, there's plenty of positives as well, but it all depends on if you are young, single, are married with a family, age group,etc

Some detractors:

- you'll only be able to attract international talent thats willing to live in a hardcore Quebecois speaking area

- weather is slightly cooler and the winters are heavier than Toronto or NY slightly (last year Toronto had a rain-only winter, but down south in Buffalo they were snowed in a few times, quite the anomaly)

- The pedigree of Montreal studios closing up shop and not paying their artists (The latest everyone remembers was Meteor)

- Less food choices compared to Toronto/NY (nightlife/entertainment better than Toronto)

- higher taxation rate in Quebec vs Ontario (not sure about NY) to quote an internet post on pros vs cons "On $100,000 of taxable income, you will pay $5000 less per year in income tax in Ontario than in Quebec."

- the illusion that its much cheaper to live in Montreal than it is in Toronto (it can be, but it is slight, and only if you dont have medium-high standards of living, otherwise the costs are the same)

- Salaries across the board in Montreal are lower than Toronto which are lower than NY (it goes hand in hand vs cost of living locally - but i'd always take location if the numbers pan out across the board NY->Toronto->Montreal)

- this is a personal one that many share, i really dislike the intertwined twizzlers they call highways over there.

Thats about it. Im not gonna list the pros because the list can be longer or shorter depending on too many factors, but generally the younger you are the more fun you're gonna have in Montreal, if you're older, you'll enjoy visiting Quebec City more i think, lotsa art and things to see/experience. Toronto can be quite a bore by comparison, but makes up for it in different ways I suppose.

Old 11 November 2012   #122
It sucks because it means its 200 more people flooding a job market which is already hard enough for newbies to break in as it is, less alone competing with someone with DNeg in their resume

Old 11 November 2012   #123
Originally Posted by evolucian: In regards to opening a studio, there are a few negatives which i can list off the top of my head. To note, there's plenty of positives as well, but it all depends on if you are young, single, are married with a family, age group,etc

Some detractors:

Thanks for the answer. Much clearer now.

Old 11 November 2012   #124
I haven't seen this mentioned but it's pretty significant in my opinion.

UK tax breaks for films will be expanded to cover animation and video games

This should increase the number of games, animated TV series' and short films produced in London so... not all bad news folks!

Old 11 November 2012   #125
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread