Maya File Navigation (mac os x)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Maya File Navigation (mac os x)

so my work jsut upgraded to maya 2013 from maya 2008 :P and i'm having a very annoying issue with the open/save dialogue in that maya 2013 seems to ignore Aliased files and folders.

this is a big issue as that was my way of gathering files from our server and my local drive to one directory without making multiple copies.

is there a new setting or is this an issue with the GUI being system independent?

EDIT: and i figured it out. i should of had more patience, sorry all. i can use os x's native dialogue. but the question remains, is there a way for the maya dialogue to see aliased folders? not that i like that much, it is butt ugly, but it may have features i may like/need.

Last edited by mecos : 09 September 2012 at 04:16 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
open the Preferences and set the option in Files/Projects to OS Native. That'll use the OS X dialog. Also, just so you know, you can use symlinks instead of aliases in OS X to avoid stuff like this. Symlinks are like aliases but deeper down in the file system so an app will never trip on them like this. I made a symlink Automator service so you can right click a file or folder and have it make a symlink:

http://www.can-con.ca/tumblrpics/make_symlink.zip

also, to toggle between OS X and Maya dialogs, put this command in your shelf:

int $dialogStyler = (!(`optionVar -q FileDialogStyle`));
optionVar -iv FileDialogStyle $dialogStyler;

if ($dialogStyler == 1)
{
print "Dialogs set to OS Style";  
}
 else
{
print "Dialogs set to Qt Style";
}

Last edited by cgbeige : 09 September 2012 at 04:37 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
awesome. you are so very helpful!

i had never heard of symlinks.

EDIT: i just read a bit about symlinks and i'll have to read some more. the reason i use alias so other workmates can move files around as they please without affecting my work. and also since there are several volumes on our servers and not all mounted all the time, the aliases will mount the volumes if they are referenced.

but this offers unique features for me to explore. thanks again.

Last edited by mecos : 09 September 2012 at 05:11 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
aliases were just retained as backwards-compatibility with OS 9 and earlier and are kind of "dumb" compared to symlinks from a file-system standpoint. I hope Apple makes symlinks the default alias in the future

Old 09 September 2012   #5
From what ive read sounds like the other way around and symplinks are dumber than aliases. Aliases got updated in os 10.6 and they seem to have the same functionality as symplinks but its a matter of software developers on how they want to reference them. For my purposes simplinks dont solve anything because files move around and get renamed all the time in my office. Linked files always get lost etc. If files stayed in their original locations with their original names i wouldnt need aliases nor symplinks.

I do see where symplinks would be useful in my workflow tho. Ill have to test out a few scenarios

Last edited by mecos : 09 September 2012 at 07:43 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
ok - what you want is actually called a hard link and it's what my Automator workflow uses. I just moved a hard-linked (ln -s) referenced folder and the link still works. I should have been clearer but use my Automator workflow and it will give you the benefit of aliases + the lower level IO benefits of a symlink

Last edited by cgbeige : 09 September 2012 at 03:38 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
I see thanks. Ill try it when i get back to work tomorrow

Old 09 September 2012   #8
hey cgbeige. so i used your automator service to make symlinks and it solved the maya issues, but now illustrator's file navigation doesn't see symlink folders. any work around?

Old 09 September 2012   #9
I just navigated a symlinked folder with AI CS5 and CS6 - works fine here.

Old 09 September 2012   #10
i'm on cs4. i'll have to investigate to see what's up.

Old 09 September 2012   #11
ok - I'm seeing the symlink problem with Indesign CS5. Weird. Why not just use the OS X favourites column to the left of the file navigation section? Those work in all apps with OS X dialogs.

Old 09 September 2012   #12
i do use the favorites but we have so many projects and we collaborate with different architects it's just too many deep folders to dig through or keep on my favorites. my biggest problem with favorites is you can't rename them and because we use similar folder structures for our projects with no descriptive name as to what project they belong to, i'll have multiple favorite folders with the same names and it makes it very confusing. that's why i started using aliases so that i can rename folders and reorganize projects with just the folders i need.

i can keep symlinks for maya project folders and aliases for everything else. i don't alias actual files, just folders

maya does see some aliases, but when you navigate into 1, it can't go any further. i think it depends on what version of os x they were created. anyway. i think symlinks will work fine for maya. no one else in my office needs to even no where those files are.

Last edited by mecos : 09 September 2012 at 06:23 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread