SmartRefs - External reference plugin for 3ds Max

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

4 Weeks Ago
One more question...

Since some of my xref scenes are quite heavy themselves with just the geo in them, I wonder how I should go about adding vegetation with forest pack...
I kind of want to do that in the master scene, since the foliage will cover several Xref scenes at the same time and all lighting should be done in the master scene.
So while playing around with the settings I don´t wanna keep reloading the heavy xref scenes if I just changed some forest pack settings. And I´ll also have to do a lot of test rendering, which I also wanna do in the master scene and in the xref scenes.

So yeah, where should I put my forest objects...in the master scene or in the xref scenes? 
Ideally I´d want to have my master scene with the forest objects (+camera/lights/etc), then the Xref/smartRefs with all the geo where the forest should be scattered on and then another Xref scene with just all the geo/proxies I wanna scatter...

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by insertmesh: One more question...

Since some of my xref scenes are quite heavy themselves with just the geo in them, I wonder how I should go about adding vegetation with forest pack...
I kind of want to do that in the master scene, since the foliage will cover several Xref scenes at the same time and all lighting should be done in the master scene.
So while playing around with the settings I don´t wanna keep reloading the heavy xref scenes if I just changed some forest pack settings. And I´ll also have to do a lot of test rendering, which I also wanna do in the master scene and in the xref scenes.

So yeah, where should I put my forest objects...in the master scene or in the xref scenes? 
Ideally I´d want to have my master scene with the forest objects (+camera/lights/etc), then the Xref/smartRefs with all the geo where the forest should be scattered on and then another Xref scene with just all the geo/proxies I wanna scatter...

Ok, in theory this setup works fine, but the loading and unloading of the scene with the vrayproxies in it is terribly slow compared to loading the proxy scene as a normal Xref object.
I´m guessing SmartRef checks the complete file by also loading the proxies in it, which are a couple of gigabytes in size in this case. I´ve tried the same with a much smaller proxy scene file without any hassle. 
So in this particular case it might be better for me to either use normal Xref object for referencing the tree proxies in the scene to use with forest pack, or to simply create some library objects in forest pack (haven´t tried that yet).

Still, wanted to share my experience with this, as I´m pretty sure people will like to reference heavy proxies like I tried to...

Last edited by insertmesh : 4 Weeks Ago at 01:38 PM.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by insertmesh: Hey Felix,

I´m about to start transitioning my short film to Smart Refs over the holidays and I have a very basic question I didn´t find the answer to quickly, which also concerns the studio I´m working at:
What happens to my scenes if I wanna hand them over to someone who doesn´t have the smart ref plugin? is that what the "persist in scene" option is for or do I have to merge everything in one scene and export that? 
Lets say all the xrefs/smartRefs are on a server the other person has access to aswell...is tehre a way that the master Scene can be converted so the other person can work with the master scene without the plugin?

Or would I use the "File-save as..." option to update all changes I made in the masterfile into the XREF, so someone without smart ref could use the master file with just normal Xrefing the Xref scenes?

I´m currently the only one who will be working with the master files, so I´m just curious about the workflow here.

Hi Samuel, if you need to use a file with smartrefs in a computer that does not have it installed you have to use the "merge" option of the smartrefs manager, so that the references object stop being referenced and become normal objects in the scene. But you have to have in mind that you can not go back after doing that.

Originally Posted by insertmesh: Sorry it took me so long to reply...
Well, I think the basic idea is probably possible already I just always get knots in my brain with some procedures...I´ve given up on using the Max project template for a long time now, but thats probably a way to do it: use a certain fodler structure for each project and have max always look for XREFS in a relative path to the master file instead of an absolute path. I think the main reason why this is a problem is if you have all your files on a fileserver for rendering in a farm...

The file path of the smartrefs uses the same asset tracking used by other assets like textures, so if you are using a project folder max will handle those paths properly.

Originally Posted by insertmesh: Ok, in theory this setup works fine, but the loading and unloading of the scene with the vrayproxies in it is terribly slow compared to loading the proxy scene as a normal Xref object.
I´m guessing SmartRef checks the complete file by also loading the proxies in it, which are a couple of gigabytes in size in this case. I´ve tried the same with a much smaller proxy scene file without any hassle. 
So in this particular case it might be better for me to either use normal Xref object for referencing the tree proxies in the scene to use with forest pack, or to simply create some library objects in forest pack (haven´t tried that yet).

I'll be glad to give a look at that issue to see how it can be fixed, do you happen to have a setup that i could give a look at?

Thanks and best regards

Personal Website:
www.joleanes.com

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by phoelix: Hi Samuel, if you need to use a file with smartrefs in a computer that does not have it installed you have to use the "merge" option of the smartrefs manager, so that the references object stop being referenced and become normal objects in the scene. But you have to have in mind that you can not go back after doing that.
Hm, ok, so does that also affect my rendering procedure? Do I have to merge everything into scene before rendering? Or are there render licences I need to install in the farm?
That would be kind of a deal breaker...

Quote: The file path of the smartrefs uses the same asset tracking used by other assets like textures, so if you are using a project folder max will handle those paths properly.
Ok, thats what I thought. I never got into the habit of using the 3ds max project template and always used my own absolute file paths.

Originally Posted by phoelix: I'll be glad to give a look at that issue to see how it can be fixed, do you happen to have a setup that i could give a look at?
Since the file is using stock models as proxies, I can´t send you the file and I´ve not been able to reproduce the problem with subdivided teapot proxies...I´ll check on my proxies again to see if there is something wrong there.

4 Weeks Ago
Ok, I was able to pinpoint the problem, it wasn´t a proxy problem, but a specific material setup on them  with Vraymultisubtex maps,. Not sure why I setup the material like that so it might be there is just some sort of logial error in there and it´s most likely not a bug but rather a broken setup...I´ll send you a file anyways, so you can investigate if you like.

4 Weeks Ago
Oh, and one more suggestion: Would it be possibly for referenced objects in the layer manager to have the same icons  like the normal xref objects (with the little arrow)? I think it might helpful in large scenes to able to quickly spot which objects are SmartReffed...

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by intermesh: Hm, ok, so does that also affect my rendering procedure? Do I have to merge everything into scene before rendering? Or are there render licences I need to install in the farm?
That would be kind of a deal breaker...

You can install smartrefs for network rendering nodes without activating a license, so it's free for network rendering.

Originally Posted by insertmesh: [table]Ok, I was able to pinpoint the problem, it wasn´t a proxy problem, but a specific material setup on them  with Vraymultisubtex maps,. Not sure why I setup the material like that so it might be there is just some sort of logial error in there and it´s most likely not a bug but rather a broken setup...I´ll send you a file anyways, so you can investigate if you like.[/table]

That's useful info, thanks!, and yeah a file could be useful too, i'll be checking that.

Originally Posted by insertmesh: Would it be possibly for referenced objects in the layer manager to have the same icons  like the normal xref objects (with the little arrow)? I think it might helpful in large scenes to able to quickly spot which objects are SmartReffed...

i haven't looked deep enough to see if that is possible, as far as i know that depends on the type of the base object of the node, with xrefs, the base object is the same, an xref object, but with smartrefs the base object is not replaced so that's why the icon is not changed. Maybe it could be possible but i can't be sure about it now, in the meantime, an easy way to get all the nodes referenced by a specific smartref is going to the smartrefs list in the manager, right click on a reference and select nodes.

Personal Website:
www.joleanes.com

4 Weeks Ago
Hi again!, so... the problem that was mentioned about the vray texmaps is now fixed, it is available in the latest version (1.01.10). That file should now load faster.

Personal Website:
www.joleanes.com

4 Weeks Ago
does not seem to work with octane v2.25
1. add  object to scene
2. add octane mat
3. save scn
4. load scn from smart ref
5. ERROR:

Error Loading ReferenceMerged Nodes: 1Name: ball_octaneRefNodes: 0, RefMaterials: 0, RefLayers: 0NodesToDelete: 0, RenamedLayers: 0LastOperation: Layers Parent Collected
Unknown Error Creating RefMaterialMaterial Name: Material #25 - -1572239680

OverriddenName:  - 0OverriddenLocDep:  - 0RefAnims: 2

i'm using trial version of SmartREf

octane v2.25
3dsmax 2016
win 7

Last edited by mortas may : 4 Weeks Ago at 02:14 PM.

4 Weeks Ago
Thanks Keneth!

I am going to give it a look. 

Personal Website:
www.joleanes.com

3 Weeks Ago
 just upgraded to version 3.06 of octane,   everything works fine now,
i'm still in testing mode, so far its passed all my tests
good software

thanx  Phoelix

Last edited by mortas may : 3 Weeks Ago at 03:48 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
alright! that's why i couldn't replicate the issue, i will try to check it with the old version of octane nonetheless. Thanks for letting me know

Personal Website:
www.joleanes.com

5 Days Ago
Hi!, 
Here again i want to share a new video showing a new Feature of SmartRefs called "Advanced Reset" (from version 1.01.10). With this feature you can reset references by certain filters. You can reset the selected references or the selected nodes, reset only the nodes with the specified categories (Geometries, Shapes, lights, etc)

Personal Website:
www.joleanes.com

reply share thread