General Discussion Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2006
Discussion: Ideas for Future Challenges

Lighting Challenges are going great. To keep this up, we need new challenge scenes every one or two months.

Many of the challenges should be "simple" scenes - scenes that people could light in many different programs, or that you'd use as a test if you were getting yourself going with new software.

Some of the challenges should reflect common challenges of lighting in production, such as lighting animated characters, integrating 3D objects with real environments, dealing with hair, fur, reflection, transparency, water, etc.

If you have built an original scene that you'd like to offer for a future challenge (or know a person or company who could offer a scene), please mention it here, preferably with a picture.

If you have any request or other ideas about future challenges, this is the place!

-jeremy

Last edited by jeremybirn : 05 May 2008 at 11:27 PM.

01 January 2006
I though of maybe doing a simple indoor scene. Like a sofa/chair propped next to a lamp stand/wall. And maybe a poseable character (very simple...cartoony most likely) to add character lighting to the mix. But it may have to be posed before people download for software compatiblity.

I can contribute a scene if time allows. Or maybe 3dcafe might have some full scenes. Just my .02 cents.

01 January 2006
how about a challenge to depict a certain emotion using only lighting? no texturing, pre-defined camera angle, now create an image that says "the horror, oh the horror", or "I'm in love...".

film noir, 'nuff said . create an image from a simple scene that reflects the aesthetics of the genre, which was pretty much defined by it lighting (am i correct, i think so).

overall, ideas that steer people away from texturing skills. i recognize lighting nad texturing go hand-in-hand in real life, but i think it can be done ntl.

Blog

01 January 2006
Maybe something practical like product shots.

Another idea might be a multi-stage challenge where you have to light a scene for say 3 different times of day.

01 January 2006
Originally Posted by MooseDog: how about a challenge to depict a certain emotion using only lighting? no texturing, pre-defined camera angle, now create an image that says "the horror, oh the horror", or "I'm in love...".

film noir, 'nuff said . create an image from a simple scene that reflects the aesthetics of the genre, which was pretty much defined by it lighting

Originally Posted by Zarathustra: Another idea might be a multi-stage challenge where you have to light a scene for say 3 different times of day.

OK, I'm working on one like what you guys are saying. I'm getting the scene together for a "Four Scripts" challenge, where you start with the same 3D scene each time but a description of the location taken from different film scripts (with different genre, mood, and time of day possible), and you light the scene as you interpret the fragment of the script that introduces the location and what's happening there. People have to do at least one for the challenge, but I suspect some people will do 2 to 4 of them.

-jeremy

01 January 2006
Sounds pretty cool

01 January 2006
i am hoping to get to this scene as soon as my next semester starts...though this isn't an idea for future...i am hoping that they remain open even as new challenges come up...i especially am interested in this fruit scene...already working on some grapes for one of my projects and at this time i only have access to maya at the campus and we're on semester break! great to see this thread and challenge developing!

01 January 2006
Originally Posted by reven: i am hoping to get to this scene as soon as my next semester starts...though this isn't an idea for future...i am hoping that they remain open even as new challenges come up...i especially am interested in this fruit scene...already working on some grapes for one of my projects and at this time i only have access to maya at the campus and we're on semester break! great to see this thread and challenge developing!

Reven... if you want to play on break, download the PLE version. Watermarked ofcourse, but you can play in the meantime. I'm pretty sure the challenges will remain open. No real reason to close them.

On a VFX Hiatus

03 March 2006
Cool

Honestly, I thought the "single big thread" for everyone was way more productive.

It's too hard to remember who's thread you read or not (and CGTalk servers don't keep good track of it, IMHO).

It was much more fun w. challenge #1, IMHO!!

/Z

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by MasterZap: Honestly, I thought the "single big thread" for everyone was way more productive.

It's too hard to remember who's thread you read or not (and CGTalk servers don't keep good track of it, IMHO).

It was much more fun w. challenge #1, IMHO!!

/Z

Thanks Master Zap, I second that. It definitely was more fun to browse through the big thread and watch instant feedbacks and comparisons at once. It had a way more compact and comfortable feeling imho.
I guess the one-thread-for-every-contributor only works with some layout like in the 3d gallery for instance, where you can easily preview each contributors image, work-title and maybe some short description. I feel quite lost right now with all the scrambled (because bump-able) threads.

Astro Man
!!!!!!!

Six Tuts On Light And Shade

03 March 2006
Yea, maybe the first challenge thread were easier to go though.

Do we know when we will be starting challenge no. 3? Was it going to be a hair based project, or are we waiting for someone to submit some models?

Dan.

03 March 2006
#3 will start next week, sorry for the delay. Yes we're doing Hairy Hare next.

I'm going to be looking for file format volunteers to turn .obj file into files for max, c4d, etc. before they go on the servers. Tomorrow I'll PM people who have posted file format conversions in previous challenges, if anyone wants to help with file formats you can PM me also and mention what software you can support.

OK, if everyone wants to try the 1-thread thing again we can. It'll be interesting to see how the new portfolio hosting on cgtalk affects the challenges.

-jeremy

05 May 2006
This week we can expect a lot of new visitors. Lighting challenges are getting heavily plugged in the new edition of Digital Lighting & Rendering, and it just started shipping in the US, so people will be getting the book and hopefully taking a look at the challenges.

To welcome some new visitors, it seems like this would be a good time to start another challenge, one that's just as simple and open-ended as the fruitbowl was. I have one I'm putting together today. It's just called "bottle collection." I'll try to get it online within a day, probably late Friday night (US Pacific time) as soon as I do a bit more modeling and file format conversion.

-jeremy

05 May 2006
Great, I'm very excited about the new challange. If you ever need any help getting models and such together let me know.

01 January 2010
i'm going to participate in the next one for sure.. can't wait..

reply share thread