Artists Remotely Collaborating!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Arrow Artists Remotely Collaborating!

Hi guys, my company hosted a panel on remotely collaborating. This is part two of our presentation from SIGGRAPH. Check it out!

What do you think?

Here is a LinkedIn group about Collaborating (tools and workflow discussions are our goals.)
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Arti...brating-5127565

Please vote for our SXSW panel if you have time too
http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/vote/26197

08 August 2013
Thanks for this.

I look forward to hearing more from theory about this.

Seems like blender is starting to get some work in this area of collaborating. Was it called "get" or "sparkle share", Bassam talked about it? The plug in for collaborating?

That's what's exiting about open source, getting to be ground breaking first and not worrying about marketing for new features.

Having a shotgun type system in blender sounds very cool.

08 August 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed it gauranga108! We're working on making this a reality everyday and to prove it, we've released some webtoons!

As for Blender, being open source has ingrained a culture of collaboration within the community; everyone loves to help. GIT and SparkleShare are the two things he was talking about.

Do they plug right into Blender? We're getting there (everyone in the community is developing tools.) Give it some time.

Thanks for watching

08 August 2013
I really like what theory is doing. Your shorts are fun.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how remote collaboration effects the creative process. I've had a few discussions on these forums. One studio supervisor mention the idea of having little teams or small 3-5 person studios working together on site as a team and plugging into larger teams/studios. To me this seamed to make the most sense. Having partnerships working on similar things remotely from other small teams could be the best of both worlds.

Being isolated can be tough, uninspiring, a drain creatively, frustrating communications etc. But being able to work from home saves so much time and money, on commuting, living scenes etc.

You know what I'm talking about?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on "best" remote collaboration situations. Not that if has to be one way or another just in your experience describing a setup that works better then others.

I know everyone is different and some may love being isolated (probably someone with more experience) and some may thrive in more social scenarios (younger less experienced team members).

Maybe having one experienced team leader for each team with less experienced members?

Sorry I'm rambling on here . . .

Thanks

08 August 2013
How have you gotten folks to collab with you?
This was a good video too.Very informative.

08 August 2013
The creative process is different for everyone; what we strive to be is a fertile ground. It has taken a long time to build. We either worked together, were classmates, or found each other (on forums like these!) and built relationships together. We also did our best to meet up physically (SIGGRAPH) to further solidify these relationships.

How do we collaborate creatively then? We talk to each other, we host pitch night, we give feedback, and we host teaching nights where people share their experiences and thoughts.

Most importantly? We rip each other apart. It's very hard, because there's a fear that people will leave and give up.

They haven't yet. I hope they never will.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by daraand: The creative process is different for everyone; what we strive to be is a fertile ground. It has taken a long time to build. We either worked together, were classmates, or found each other (on forums like these!) and built relationships together. We also did our best to meet up physically (SIGGRAPH) to further solidify these relationships.

How do we collaborate creatively then? We talk to each other, we host pitch night, we give feedback, and we host teaching nights where people share their experiences and thoughts.

Most importantly? We rip each other apart. It's very hard, because there's a fear that people will leave and give up.

They haven't yet. I hope they never will.

Sorry if I'm being to nosy, but is pitch night and teaching night a online Skype type conference call or something?

Which communication tools do you like?

08 August 2013
I find this a very interesting subject, as I myself are relocating constantly and still want to participate remotely on certain projects. Its good to hear other people, with experience, share their views. So, thank you for that.

I will follow this thread and your work closely.

08 August 2013
Rickmeister: what do you do? Would you like to see how it works? Send me a PM.

gauranga108: we use a jabber server for IM and zoom.us. We love Zoom, mention us if you use it, they're quite helpful.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread