How often do you seek input?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
How often do you seek input?

I am starting to dig deeper and deeper into my workload of assignments while in arts school to hone my skills. As the assignments pile up and deadlines tighten I was curious how often the community seeks input from peers, supervisors or anyone else (family and friends outside the field). The reason why I ask is should I constantly be seeking input with every step in a project or hold back and only share key portions such as locking on a concept compared to sharing concept sheets.

02 February 2013
At my job, everyone has their work checked at least twice a day, sometimes more. My partner does the rounds with the projects, and the managers, and then the project manager also does the rounds once or twice on the stuff his guys are doing.

But our deadlines are super short, so even an hour wasted on the wrong thing hurts everyone!

In my personal work, i usually wait until I'm past the halfway point on a stage of an image before I show it. That way I can still change and alter it, but not to the point of altering the original idea-which keeps me motivated to finish.
The later you leave it for crit, the harder it becomes, not only technically, but also emotionally to finish a piece.

Last edited by Pyke : 02 February 2013 at 06:55 AM.

02 February 2013
If your in college and dont run it past your teachers your running a huge risk of getting a low grade. Especially on dissertations as often the reasons can be quite escoteric and only exist in the mind of the person marking (I learned this the hard way)

If you get them providing input on a regular basis they will be much more likely to approve of the work when its complete.

02 February 2013
I run it by my supervisor 1-3 times a day. Depends on how confident I am in having understood the direction the task needs to be taken. I think getting fresh eyes on it a few times a day is very helpful, also from a purely aesthetic perspective, as I tend to stare myself blind on otherwise obvious flaws.

02 February 2013
Most of the stuff my friends and I do is for our personal use or for school projects. We all tend to collaborate with one another, even if just to make fun of one another in a light-hearted way. Having that input is good and avoids me going down a wrong road or getting too fixated on one aspect of whatever I'm working on.
I've lost count of the times I went my own way on a project with no outside input, walked away for a few hours and when I came back I just didn't like what I'd done with my project. I suppose we all have folders of abandoned projects because we went it alone.

02 February 2013
If it's an animation, I'll have my boss check it after I have it blocked in and timed out, to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. After that, I'll have him review it again once it's cleaned up.

With a model, I'll wait until it roughly matches the reference before I bring anyone else in.

On personal projects, usually I'll step away from it for a few days once I reach a good stopping point. Sometimes this helps me see it from a fresher perspective. The only downside is it takes longer to finish, and may still end up with flaws I couldn't see.

02 February 2013
I'm doing a workshop at iAnimate at the moment and it's all about getting feedback on your work. It's amazing sometimes how when an experienced person (my mentor has almost 20 years!) looks at your work and points something out to you that it's then suddenly blindingly obvious, whereas before it wasn't at all. It can make a huge difference to the final result.

The only tricky thing with getting general comments and crits on web forums is that you don't know the credentials of the person giving the crits. As you get more experienced I guess it's easier to tell when someone is giving you good or bad notes. Ditching your ego and looking at things objectively is tough sometimes but essential.

Cheers,
Brian

02 February 2013
Thank you for your responses, sounds like I was fairly on the right track. Usually after I feel I reached a break or progressed through a key portion I try to toss the progress around and get as many eyes on from my peers. I have noticed though that uninformed feedback is almost detrimental, this somewhat ties into Leigh's thread on celebrating mediocrity. It is nice hearing positive notes from family or friends outside of the field though I scarcely get useful ideas or notes.

This can happen a bit on the professional side too as I saw on my master class Alex Alvarez was asking Neville Page for feedback on a concept variation sheet. The response he got back was a mere "they all look great" I suppose if I get great feedback from a peer that goes in-depth and helps I should always try to keep in mind to go full cycle and be just as analytical to help them even when I am busy with another project.

02 February 2013
Innnnput...

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: I have noticed though that uninformed feedback is almost detrimental.

Absolutely, that's the difficult part for me too, deciding which notes are valid when they come from someone you don't know well. I had an 'aha' moment (nothing to do with Steve Coogan) last year when doing a different workshop at iA. Our mentor had encouraged us to create a detailed character bio for each shot before starting to animate, so that we would know who we were supposed to be animating. A couple of weeks later I posted a WIP on the iA site and a fellow student gave me a crit saying 'hey the guy should do x..'. I thought about it for a moment and realized that while it was a decent idea it was not right for the specific character I was animating. That's when the penny dropped for me as to why our mentor had made us write those bios.

Cheers,
Brian

02 February 2013
I ask for input all the time.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread