Meet the Artist: Nick Pugh

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by anakinskywalker: Hi Nick,

Do drop in sometime in the VC room sometime... A hi from all of us here in India.

-Hrishi

the VC room? i would like to visit r&h india some time, it would be cool to do some sort of project that demanded it

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by nick pugh: the VC room? i would like to visit r&h india some time, it would be cool to do some sort of project that demanded it

what project you are in now??

Do you outsource some of your work to R&H India? If so, What kind of work??

Last edited by k4k : 06 June 2005 at 06:19 PM.

06 June 2005
the hybrid car

just wanted to let the guys (and gals?) that never read wired magazine to know where that hybrid picture was published

06 June 2005
Heya

Hey Nick, great work!,

Im a studnt in England studying Computer Animation at portsmouth uni, i find that nature inspires me alot, and helps me to think and develop ideas, for example walking in the countryside, although im in a city now at university so dont have alot of that around me.

Q. Is there anything that you do specificaly to help inspire you, or anything that generaly helps you think about your work? Sight, sound, etc

Q. Is there anything that you think from your life, or other artists work that you admire, which is influencial to you, that translates alot into your own work at all?

Thanks alot

Chris Bolton

Last edited by Chris_Bolton_NSM : 06 June 2005 at 05:56 PM.

06 June 2005
Yo Nick, just wanted to say I love your work and I've been a fan since getting Concept Design 1 a while ago, I REALLY loved the cloud car concept, totally seriously out there, so totally abstract and organic.

Regards, Darren.

- Tyler Durden

06 June 2005
Talking

Hi nick,

I just want to say that I am a really big fan of your work and I'm hoping to save enough money to buy your dvd's. I'm currently seventeen years old and I attend the Saturday High program for high schoolers at ACCD.

Here are my questions:

1. Can you explain your process of going through your photoreal vellum renderings?

And on average, How long does it take for you to do a vellum rendering sketch, such as the rendering of your xeno1 on your website?

2. I have a problem with applying pastel and baby powder on my vellum. The rendering starts to get dirty as I apply more and more Pastel, even if I apply fixative. Do you have any suggestions?

3. When coming up with an idea for a car design, Do you feel that free form is much more important, or functionality?

4. Before you had entered into coventry and eventually into ACCD, did you have any prior experience or lessons in rendering automobiles? If so, where?

5. Do you give drawing lessons, if I live in the LA area?

Thanks nick. I really enjoy your work.

06 June 2005
hi nick,

I'm a really big fan of your work. Its so incredible. The free form and spontenuity of it is incredible and ingenius.
I have a couple questions:

1. I'm still in high school, but I would like to know of how you undergo those large vellum renderings you did, such as the one in the xeno concepts.

2. How long does one vellum rendering usually take?

3. Can you explain the process of doing a vellum sketch, such as the ones you did on your mazda sponsered project?

4. I feel that many of your designs stresses the importance of form and styling. What is more important: The form or the Functionality?

5. Before you entered into Coventry and ACCD, Did you have any prior art lessons in car design for preparing your portfolio?

7. If you live in the LA area, Is it possible to give drawing lessons?

Thanks.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by mindgame: hi nick,

I'm a really big fan of your work. Its so incredible. The free form and spontenuity of it is incredible and ingenius.
I have a couple questions:

1. I'm still in high school, but I would like to know of how you undergo those large vellum renderings you did, such as the one in the xeno concepts.

2. How long does one vellum rendering usually take?

3. Can you explain the process of doing a vellum sketch, such as the ones you did on your mazda sponsered project?

4. I feel that many of your designs stresses the importance of form and styling. What is more important: The form or the Functionality?

5. Before you entered into Coventry and ACCD, Did you have any prior art lessons in car design for preparing your portfolio?

7. If you live in the LA area, Is it possible to give drawing lessons?

Thanks.

1. it would be pretty hard to explain how i do this type of work in text form in this context. it is really quite complex and has many layers. in the simplest terms i would say sketch your design and render at the same time to keep it fresh, dont touch the surface too much(use a sheet of paper to rest your hand on to avoid smudges), make use of both sides of the paper for transparency reflections, work light to dark and add hilites at the end.

2. they range from 15 minutes for a quick sketch to a few days for a version with a full BG and collage elements

3. above

4. in the early state of the process it seems to me to be most important to establish an iconic direction. as the design is realized ever closer to reality the functional elemnts become critical to its complete success. i would say, in the best case, that they are a yin yang neither being dominant.

5. not in car design but alot in art in general

7. i will be teaching a class 'originality in design' this fall at art center and have a series of dvds related to that subject from the gnomon workshop. private lessons are not something i have done but i would consider looking at your portfolio and give you some feedback on it.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Chris_Bolton_NSM: Hey Nick, great work!,

Im a studnt in England studying Computer Animation at portsmouth uni, i find that nature inspires me alot, and helps me to think and develop ideas, for example walking in the countryside, although im in a city now at university so dont have alot of that around me.

Q. Is there anything that you do specificaly to help inspire you, or anything that generaly helps you think about your work? Sight, sound, etc

Q. Is there anything that you think from your life, or other artists work that you admire, which is influencial to you, that translates alot into your own work at all?

Thanks alot

Chris Bolton

i agree, nature is a great inspiration. my dvd series from the gnomon workshop directly addresses the subject of inspiration and originality and would be the best way for me to explain the methods i use in detail. it is a very involved subject and i could not do it justice in a simple answer here. as far as what i admire in other artists work, i guess i am most moved when i get a glimpse of something totally original, executed with brilliant technique in a peice of work. this is rare and therefore i am most often neutral.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by k4k: what project you are in now??

Do you outsource some of your work to R&H India? If so, What kind of work??

i have just been working on a few pitch features that have yet to be greenlit, developing a couple of new books, a commercial etc. i do not personally outsource any work to R&H india but i am sure things i have worked on have been.

06 June 2005
Hi nick,

I have another question:

How long did this rendering take?

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by mindgame: Hi nick,

I have another question:

How long did this rendering take?

probably a few hours, it was a long time ago and i cant say exactly

07 July 2005
Hi everyone,

I'd like to take this chance to thank Nick for participating in this session, and for answering so many questions! This session will now be closed.

Thread Closed share thread