CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
ticounne
Veteran

Team render works for me

HI,

Although I read and understand that Team Render is causing major headaches for some users, I have to pitch in and say that for me it is a lifesaver.

I have four machines and it operated flawlessly.

I rendered several large jobs and I still have to experience a problem.

It seems to me that the problems I hear about are on larger networks that is something Maxon should look into.

Jean

Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
AdamT
oh ... what?

Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA

TR is also working well for me. I think Maxon did a good job with it. The problem is that it's not a replacement for NET render.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
ooo
actually my name is odo

So I'm finally installing R15 now and have one TR question. If have 2 renderboxex where I put the clients on, but I also want my workstation to act as a client. Is that possible? Do I have to install the client on the workstation too, or is the main R15 install already the client?

THX

odo

Old 11-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
3DKiwi
Expert

Nigel Doyle
New Zealand

Just install R15 on the workstation. I assume this is the computer you want to control things.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
dann_stubbs
insert witty tag here

Dann Stubbs
Systems Admin - ex 3D guy
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo
So I'm finally installing R15 now and have one TR question. If have 2 renderboxex where I put the clients on, but I also want my workstation to act as a client. Is that possible? Do I have to install the client on the workstation too, or is the main R15 install already the client?

THX

odo

i have done both - the C4D app does work as both the render manager (like NET Server) and also as the NET Client via the Team Render Client

but i like having the render over on the separate TR client install, though it's a big waste of space at mine is over 6GB just for a render node.

but even with a separate TR Client install - still your C4D is burdened with being the TR (NET) Server so working with other scenes will still be bogged down unless you do very light work - and if your C4D crashes either way with internal TR rendering or the external TR render client you will have your render lost so tread carefully when doing much of anything.

i often think about those past warnings and lessons from maxon about using your workstation as both the NET Server and the NET Client and then wonder why this was their final decision with TR... (and then even on top of those two tasks as NET Server and NET Client - STILL working as your C4D workstation!)

it is very hard to get used to just setting a render up and then having to leave my workstation due to the incredible bog down of R15 running the render queue. as well as it's often so laggy that just forget about doing any other serious work like AE or PS, during that time of the render - often even browsing the web if often unusable so i just leave my desk.

it's not a great productivity enhancer for me in any way... but maybe for lighter use it won't be too much of an issue.

good luck

dann
-

Old 11-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
wonky
Expert
designer

Its a nightmare

We have had significant issues - all sorts of things for it rendering 8bit in some instances (why?) and it not distributing frames to machines properly. We primarily use it for animation and to be honest we have had nothing but trouble. It doesn't let you see whats happening properly on a machine and in a production environment its just not ready.
Maybe for stills its ok but its brought many nights of pain in here.
Go look on c4d cafe - there are more threads to to with the very long list of issues.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
ooo
actually my name is odo

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input!

And @Wonky: yes I'm totally aware of all the negative experiences, so I guess I'll have to find out what this is all about. I can safely run back to Net if needed.

So I installed it now and try to get it working. No fun yet. Let's see what is still missing in this game. I'll get back here if I succeed.

thanks again,

odo

Old 11-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
ooo
actually my name is odo

So far so good. I checked out Mash youtube video on TR and got it to work now. All I can say for now that is is working. So I'll give it a go in the next project then.

odo

Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
dataflow
Expert

portfolio
james hooten
digital media
TAFE
Sydney, Australia

why is there someone that always has to post negative?
there is already a thread to do that so no need to do it in this 1 to

Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread