blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
This has me confused. I see artwork updated almost daily in the 2D section, but sometime the 3D section goes for days without new artwork. Do you mean to say that more 3D art is submitted and rejected than 2D art?

If we are talking about proportions of work rejected, then yes, a higher percentage of 3D submissions are rejected than 2D, for sure. Most 2D works are accepted; there is a lot more poor quality 3D than poor quality 2D being submitted.

Unfortunately visitors to the site are more interested in 3D, particularly realism, which is largely seen here as the pinnacle of excellence. This makes me a sad panda.

I plugged a really lovely storybookish painting last night and it's only had four or five replies. If that image had been a photorealistic render of a car, a chick with huge tits or a robot, it'd have pages of replies by now. The lack of appreciation for creativity and non-realistic work here makes me want to weep.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:32 AM   #17
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Do we really want to go there with this thread?

Free Maya Nodes

Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #18
pap87
Lord of the posts

portfolio
John Papafotiou
Lighting TD
Wellington, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
If that image had been a photorealistic render of a car, a chick with huge tits or a robot, it'd have pages of replies by now.

Actually I haven't seen that happen for some time now which is good to see! In fact looking at the 3d stills page now, the clear standout image in terms of views and replies is one of wood shavings (which I think is a great image btw)

Old 05-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
balistic
wacom jock

portfolio
Brian Prince
Sr. 3D Artist
IGT
Reno, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique
Hey Brian, long time no talk.

This is something I've been trying to change for years now. I have tried numerous approaches (starting the Art Techniques & Theories subforum, giving critiques in the WIP 2D forum, bringing in good 2D artists to be Forum Leaders, teaching workshops, as well as constantly promote/explain why a solid foundation as a 2D artist is important even for 3D artists looking to become better visual artists in general), but I think 3D is ingrained in the DNA of CGSociety so much that it'll be hard to alter it. I'm not going to give up though--as long as I'm still a contributing member here, I'll continue the quest.

If you have any suggestions/ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Yo Luna! I'm not sure what I'd suggest ... I actually avoid the bigger 2D forums because it just feels like too much to keep up with sometimes. Plus I haven't been painting a lot lately. I wonder if you could do some kind of group activity that focused on really polishing a piece ... like a requirement to post at least 3 different thumbnails and then spend at least 12 or 15 hours on the final. I dunno, people might find it too intimidating. Just an idea.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread