Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
iEatShadows

portfolio
Vincent Corridore
USA

Animation Glitchy

Hello Community of CGS,

I am a new member to this site and hope to learn more than I already know. But as of right now, I have a bit of a problem.

I have started Graphic Design again and I am using Cinema 4D. I am using plays animations very well in the program. Well when I render it and try to play it it doesn't come together correctly. It is all there but the frames jump around. The animation is 80 frames long, with 30 fps. The resolution is 2560 by 1600.

I have tried playing the rendered animation in Windows Media Player and Sony Vegas 12.0. Please help me with this problem. Greatly appreciated.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
zzacmann
Shaved Monkey

portfolio
Zac Overcash
Animator
Vancouver, Canada

Its most likely the fact that your computer is just having a difficult time playing ANY video smoothly at such a high resolution. Why do you need such a crazy high resolution?

Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Your thread will be much happier here where it has a good home

You are facing the very first issue all of us have with animating and that is resolution. Make sure your render output is not set at 300dpi and the first member to answer you is right on,.. why so big?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
Pelgaccio

portfolio
Connell
Katy, USA

I'm about to start my studies into animation my self, and I was wondering if the resolution was too high what would be a good standard resolution to make an animation? Also if you were to go that high, what would you need in order to achieve that

Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
dataflow
Expert

portfolio
james hooten
digital media
TAFE
Sydney, Australia

it depands on what you want to use it for.
here is a good list of resolution standards

you will probably need the TV and Video Resolution list

http://www.equasys.de/standardresolution.html

Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
chi
Modernism at my brains

portfolio
Patrick Goski
Community Ambassador (North America)
MAXON Computer Inc.
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via MSN to chi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelgaccio
I'm about to start my studies into animation my self, and I was wondering if the resolution was too high what would be a good standard resolution to make an animation? Also if you were to go that high, what would you need in order to achieve that

You don't need anything more than time, RAM and hard drive space to render large images.
If you want to play a sequence of these large images back...well that is where you run into issues like the poster.

When playing a movie back you can run into many bottlenecks.
First you have CPU bottlenecks, if your video is compressed that means that the CPU (or GPU) must first Decode the frame before it can be played. This can cause choppy playback.
Now, one thing that can help here is rendering to an uncompressed format.
In this case you can run into CPU, RAM, or HDD Bandwidth issues.
(If rendering straight to video...at which point I will state, as many will, DO NOT RENDER DIRECTLY TO VIDEO...render frame sequences and then use these in your editing app. I will also mention that your editing apps will also appreciate uncompressed footage, as if you are using compressed footage it has to decode it)

Think of it as each frame being a seperate image, then think of how large (size of file) a single image can be. (I'm not talking about a compressed jpg which can be small, but a fullsize uncompressed frame.) Now the computer has to process up to or beyond 30 of these files every second. That can be a lot of information to deal with.

Now, the reason that CINEMA plays these images back much smoother is because CINEMA's Picture Viewer is a RAM player, that means it preloads as many frames as possible into your RAM, providing smoother playback. This is something WMP or sony vegas do not do.

Also while a list of standards is decent to have, output is truly determined by your needs and where you want to output too. Usually these outlet or end point for the media determines the size...not the artist.

For example, if you are outputting to web, look at the major players in online video hosting.
Youtube or vimeo. If you go to vimeo they give very clear guidelines for uploading.
If you only want to show your work there, then the guidelines they set will work fine.
For your own practice you should never really need to go over 720p. at 30fps (24fps is also common). Beyond that you should really be asking a client what their needs are for the final size.

Last edited by chi : 12-10-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
chi
Modernism at my brains

portfolio
Patrick Goski
MAXON Computer Inc.
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga

You are facing the very first issue all of us have with animating and that is resolution. Make sure your render output is not set at 300dpi and the first member to answer you is right on,.. why so big?

With CINEMA 4D the DPI setting will only cause a change to output resolution if you have set the output to use a measurement other than px.
If you set your output in px then out put will always be what you set, regardless of DPI
Can't have more than 1 pixel in a pixel (for the most part ), but you can have more than 1 pixel in an inch.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
iEatShadows

portfolio
Vincent Corridore
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga

For presentations, The res has to be high. Projectors at the college aren't that good here. Thanks. That probably is my problem.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
iEatShadows

portfolio
Vincent Corridore
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi
You don't need anything more than time, RAM and hard drive space to render large images.
If you want to play a sequence of these large images back...well that is where you run into issues like the poster.

When playing a movie back you can run into many bottlenecks.
First you have CPU bottlenecks, if your video is compressed that means that the CPU (or GPU) must first Decode the frame before it can be played. This can cause choppy playback.
Now, one thing that can help here is rendering to an uncompressed format.
In this case you can run into CPU, RAM, or HDD Bandwidth issues.
(If rendering straight to video...at which point I will state, as many will, DO NOT RENDER DIRECTLY TO VIDEO...render frame sequences and then use these in your editing app. I will also mention that your editing apps will also appreciate uncompressed footage, as if you are using compressed footage it has to decode it)

Think of it as each frame being a seperate image, then think of how large (size of file) a single image can be. (I'm not talking about a compressed jpg which can be small, but a fullsize uncompressed frame.) Now the computer has to process up to or beyond 30 of these files every second. That can be a lot of information to deal with.

Now, the reason that CINEMA plays these images back much smoother is because CINEMA's Picture Viewer is a RAM player, that means it preloads as many frames as possible into your RAM, providing smoother playback. This is something WMP or sony vegas do not do.

Also while a list of standards is decent to have, output is truly determined by your needs and where you want to output too. Usually these outlet or end point for the media determines the size...not the artist.

For example, if you are outputting to web, look at the major players in online video hosting.
Youtube or vimeo. If you go to vimeo they give very clear guidelines for uploading.
If you only want to show your work there, then the guidelines they set will work fine.
For your own practice you should never really need to go over 720p. at 30fps (24fps is also common). Beyond that you should really be asking a client what their needs are for the final size.

For this yo have given me some good advice but, the size has to b what it is. I also use 15fps (Not sure if that matters) , but Thank you for your feedback and time to help me out!

Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
chi
Modernism at my brains

portfolio
Patrick Goski
MAXON Computer Inc.
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatShadows
For presentations, The res has to be high. Projectors at the college aren't that good here. Thanks. That probably is my problem.

This is being projected?
You should be working at the projectors native resolution then.
This likely will not exceed 1080p

Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread