Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

plugin like the face machine for auto paint weight.

so i heard about the face machine and i watched there tutorials and it works awesome. could someone plz tells me is there any other plugin,script or software that could do job something like this (tsm).

thanks in advance.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
giordi
Expert

portfolio
Marco Giordano
Creature TD
Double Negative
London, United Kingdom

imo TFM is not that great as soon as you move out of the standard face creepy stuff starts to happen ,
also auto skinning is way overrated . It doesnt actually exist a good autoskining , there are some algorithms like heat weight that works better but just sometimes , It really depends from the mesh overall shape and so on, but you always end up by tweaking the weights manually

Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

I'm working with some rigs that were created with TFM and setup machine, and sorry to say they are really not great IMO. They are really slow for one thing so I'm constantly turning off the faces while animating the bodies. Also setup machine creates bad orientations for some of the main body controllers. So for example when I'm polishing the head animation in the GE I have to remind myself that Z is what would usually be the X axis,, X is Y etc. I'm also not a fan of the unusual way it approaches IK poles, with the legs at least there's the option to switch to regular controllers but with the arms I'm rotating these arrow controllers to point the elbows when I'd really just rather grab a pole and position it. The way the spines are rigged are really not optimal either, especially with quadrupeds IMO.

A couple of other issues - if the rigs are loaded into Maya without the plugins being loaded (for TFM) I get an instant crash, plus now I'd like to work with Maya 2013.5 but I can't as the plugins haven't been updated for it. Really don't see why it's even necessary to have a plugin for a face rig to be honest.

Phew.. glad I got that off my chest, I've been working with these rigs for a couple of months now so the wounds are still fresh. I was hired as animator on the job after the characters were already rigged and there really isn't time to re-rig them but I've been quite tempted to do that a couple of times.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 11-19-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

thanks guys for your reply

i am kind of a new in this field and yeah i am looking for some shortcut but what i really inspire of this tsm and yeah there is another one called advance skeleton. they both have mesh camouflage kind of a thing. tsm call it widgetand advance skeleton call it something i don't remember right now. what this thing do is cover your mesh and your mesh don't need paint weight anymore.
something tells me that maya 2011 already have this tool but i don't know what it is call.?

Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
giordi
Expert

portfolio
Marco Giordano
Creature TD
Double Negative
London, United Kingdom

As I told you that s not true , If you have a mesh really close to the mesh face machine was prototiped on then you might get good result and have to tweak not that much the weights , but when the mesh starts do shift from a regular human face everything goes to hell , I had to use for a production , I still have nightmers for that , the pur guy doing face rig with tfm spent months and months painting weights trying to make tfm working

Old 11-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

thanks giordi

here is my model (just for example) and i made a skeleton and rig and bind.
the model is low edge and without paint weight so i set the pose to see how it bound and i got prob with armpit and other parts of the body. like you see

and after that i uploaded in mixamo.com and and after 2min (just simple joints nothing fancy) it looks so nice to me. and yeah its a same low mesh but not problem with armpit etc

i don't want auto setting to do things for me but i just want .,,, don't want paint weight (only body)

Old 11-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Why not just use the Interactive Bind as an alternative then? It allows you to use capsules in the viewport to define the weighting falloffs. I find it very good for blocking things out initially and like how, erm, interactive, it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4kYrHZt-tw

Cheers,
Brian

Old 11-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
tontonsuspect
puppet tamer
cedricB
CharacterTD
France

you could also build your own library of skinning template and then transfer weight based on point proximity....

What is not done in painting/component editor must be done somewhere else( like setting up additional joint to hold volume ,do bendy stuff etc).

As a personal note, it always was my dream to achieve character deformation without painting weights or playing with huge excel table like interface. But for this I write script/ and now plugins .

Maya default nodes can also be hacked for that purpose( all my prototype use them ), you just have to try to combine them.If your are a beginner dont be afraid to make mistake/ fail: just be sure to test all the existing deformer in maya to find what is the most comfortable to use for you

Old 11-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread