Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
JasonTBurns

portfolio
Jason Burns
United%2BStates

Spitfire WIP

Hello everyone!

For the past 2 weeks I have been working on a high-res model of a Spitfire MK1. It's not completely finished yet, there are some details that I need to add to both the exterior and the interior as well as some fixes to a few of the seems to fix some light leaks. But I thought I would post my progress so far and get some feedback on how it's coming along.

I plan on using this model for a portfolio piece so comments and critiques would be most welcome.

Thank you for you time!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Kev3D
Agent

portfolio
Kevin Russell
3D Artist
Kevisual
London, GB

Send a message via MSN to Kev3D
Looks like you're off to a good start, from the renders, it looks like the panels don't really fit together as snugly as they should. It's good to model with a blinn shader applied to everything as this makes it easier to see where there's inconsistencies in the model.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
JasonTBurns

portfolio
Jason Burns
United%2BStates

Thanks Kevin for the comment! I see what you mean about the seams, as soon as I was done with the renders I saw that as well. Unfortunately I will not be able to work on this project again for the next two weeks, but I will be addressing the seams asap after I get back!

The blinn shader is a good idea, I will be using this in the future.

I do have some questions about the topology of the wing where the holes for the guns are cut out.
First, Is this a proper ( best practice ) edge flow for an area such as this?
Second, is there a faster way of getting this job done other than using a cylinder as a guide for the split poly tool, or using booleans?

I'm using Maya 2014 for this project.

thanks!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

I often set up holes by creating the underlying mesh in such a way that it enables me to chamfer the vertex (positioned at the centre of the future hole) to give me a nice even four-sided face/hole that can later be refined if necessary. That's in 3ds though, it may work a bit differently in Maya.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTBurns
I do have some questions about the topology of the wing where the holes for the guns are cut out.
First, Is this a proper ( best practice ) edge flow for an area such as this?

That's not bad at all. I doubt you will have problems with this come UV or texture time.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
JasonTBurns

portfolio
Jason Burns
United%2BStates

Telemachus Ė That's a good idea, from what I know the chamfer operation is the same as 3ds max but I donít know for certain. I will give it a try in my next project, thanks!

Dillster Ė Thanks for the comment. That is very good news, I was not looking forward to having to change the topo in that area.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I will be posting updates as soon as I can. I will be out of town for the next two weeks so I will not be able to work on any projects till I return. I also donít know if I will have access to the internet so if I don't replay to comments in that time please don't take it personally.

Here is a quick shot of the lower wing and the cockpit.

Cheers!

Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
JasonTBurns

portfolio
Jason Burns
United%2BStates

Hello again! Its been a while since Iíve had a chance to post an update on the spitfire, but in that time I have been hard at work. After I got back from my trip I was able to lay out the UVs and get the model ready for painting. I then got to work on the diffuse and bump maps. Here are a few renders of what I have so far.

Comments and critiques are most welcome!
Thanks for your time.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

The model looks good so far. But what is missing are all the little bits and pieces that gives it scale. Right now, due to the lack of those, it looks a bit like a miniature. For the textures, try to use photo elements as much as possible to get a bit more of a natural feeling into it. Right now the look, especially on the belly looks a bit air-brushed and the markings/letters are way too perfect. Find some high res photos of the real bird and observe closely how all those things get affected by weathering, wear and tear. There's no sch thing as a perfect line in the real world, especially on machines in daily service Also start working on the maps you use for glossiness, reflection, bump etc. They will determine how your surface will look like. Atm it's too even and dull shading wise.

Keep working on it, this bird is a great base for far more!
Cheers
Andre

Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
JasonTBurns

portfolio
Jason Burns
United%2BStates

Acentarel Ė Thank you for the critique. I apologize for the delay in my response, I was out of town again and just returned this morning. This summer has been a bit crazy for me

For the textures I attempted to use images from CGtextures.com as much as possible, however I think a lot, if not most, of that detail got lost in the paining process when I added the color. The loss of detail is most visible on the underbelly, I tried to fix this with a bit of hand painting leading to the air brushed feel. In future I need to do some playing with my layer stacks to see if I cant bring some more of that detail back through and also hunt for some high res photos of the under belly to use.

I will be weathering the markings asap.

At the moment I am indeed missing several of the maps you have mentioned, I will a be working on finishing these as soon possible.

Again thank you for your response, I really appreciate that you took the time out of your day to give me an honest and constructive critique. I learned a lot on this project and I still have great deal left to learn.

Your MI-24 is looking amazing!

Last edited by JasonTBurns : 07-07-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
Katchan
Veteran

portfolio
Andrew
Hobart, Australia

Jason, Looks great so far, one major issue I have (is also something seen in scale modelling) your panel lines are to pronounced, especially along the wing rivets. WWII aircraft weathered in a very different way than modern planes that might see 20+ years service. Your modelling a Mk. I spitfire with a 3 bladed prop a most likely served sometime between 1939 and up to mid 1941. Even allowing for a very rare aircraft to of lasted the whole 2+ year time period there should not be that much sign of fading/wear. Spitfires were meticulously cared for by their ground crews and RAF procedure for UK based squadrons simply would not of allowed it to happen. Some chipping on screw heads, even less on panel joins is about the most you can see from period photographs. Panel lines, screws and riveting were visible often quite plainly but fading along these lines on a UK based spitfire, very unlikely.

Andrew

Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
JasonTBurns

portfolio
Jason Burns
United%2BStates

Thanks for the critique Andrew
I see what you mean about the fading on the panel seems. I believe this is a result of the stencil I used for the rivets. In future I plan on spending a great deal more time prepping the photographic resources that I add to my maps. This project has been a huge learning experience for me and the feedback has been extremely helpful.

Thanks again

Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread